2012 Impala ATF Deain and fill 87k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to buy my old company car to keep for a bit until I find something I want. It's a 2012 Impala with the 6 speed and ~87,000 miles. It has been routinely serviced except for the transmission fluid. Any concerns with a drain and refill at this point? From what I've read it doesn't have a filter to change unless disassembling the transmission.

Our 2010 Malibu has the smaller capacity 6 speed. The fluid was extremely dark and gritty at ~90k. Just make sure you look up the refill procedure if it doesn't have a dipstick. I'm too lazy to lookup if yours does.

I used Maxlife ATF.

The new fluid will be good for it no harm to at all. The old fluid isn't doing you any favors. Maxlife dex/merc works good or any licensed DexronVI will work. Supertech is the cheapest and same as the oem DexronVI. I can get Maxlife gallons for $17 around here and it's about the same cost for a better fluid

That's a good year because it gets the 300 hp engine, there are some YouTube videos with removed resonators and aftermarket mufflers or no mufflers they sound mean

Yea it only has a screen and have to pull trans to get to it so don't worry about it. So just a drain fill now and then do it again at the 100k service.

Any DexVI or Valvoline Maxlife fluid will work fine.

Thanks guys. It has a dipstick and the fluid is pink with a brownish tint to it. The owners manual calls for fluid change at 97,500 so I feel good doing it a little early. It has been a great car, plenty of power, 32+ mpg on the highway and a great price from the fleet company.

If the transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get the Dorman pan that has one, making ATF changes much easier. Maxlife ATF is great stuff
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
Thanks guys. It has a dipstick and the fluid is pink with a brownish tint to it. The owners manual calls for fluid change at 97,500 so I feel good doing it a little early. It has been a great car, plenty of power, 32+ mpg on the highway and a great price from the fleet company.

I would do a drain/fill at least every 30-60k. Do one now and then again at 100k. After that anywhere from 30k to 60k max. Remember a drain/fill doe snot get all the fluid.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
Thanks guys. and a great price from the fleet company.

Sure, no problem. If you don't mind me asking what price are they offering you?

I'm sure it has a tranny cooler line to the radiator somewhere. Find the return and do an exchange from there. Then you can swap it all easily. I've done this on a few newer vehicles now, its the only way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back