2012 German ADAC Tests of Winter Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats good if you live in europe.

I dont speak or read German but it seems like only 1 tire out of all 3 lists is available in the US currently
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand

I dont speak or read German but it seems like only 1 tire out of all 3 lists is available in the US currently
frown.gif

+1

Good results, as I use 185/65/15's in winter (Last report was for 2010 for that exact size) and no 1 was Dunlop SP winter sport, BUT I have Michelin Fuel savers for the summer and their wet braking distance is only average, so I will switch to either Continentals or Nokians next year.

frown.gif

Have you heard about google translate?
It is not perfect but good enough to read tire tests.

Krzys

For some odd reason Continental does not bring their most current performance winters to the USA market. They almost always seem to score in the top 3 in the various European tests. They have a very talented winter tire engineering group. Even their studded tires are the equal of Nokian's studded tires.

Originally Posted By: krzyss

frown.gif

Have you heard about google translate?
It is not perfect but good enough to read tire tests.

Krzys

Have you tried it. it doesnt translate the charts at all.

just the articles around the chart.

also the main point I was making was the fact that only 1 out of 20? 30? tires are even available in the usa.

it does me no good to see how good a dunlop 4d performs when they have been out for 2 years but arent available in north america.

still an interesting article... but not particularly useful except for people living in europe.

Last edited:
I wil send e:mails to Continental and Goodyear/Dunlop if they want my money. Michelin apparently does.

Krzys

If you only look at english language tire tests, look no further.
smile.gif

Here is a test of 17" studded and non-studded tires done by the Russian magazine AutoReview:

http://www.autoreview.ru/_archive/section/detail.php?ELEMENT_ID=125452&SECTION_ID=7083

The testing was done in the USA, about 350 miles north of Detroit. It included some tires available for purchase in North America.

This is the third test I have seen over the last few years in which the ice performance of studless "ice and snow" tires (like the Xi2, etc) rapidly degrades as temperatures warm up to 30-32 degF.:

Google translation: ".....the day the thermometer showed 30 degrees Fahrenheit, in our opinion - about one degree Celsius. Repeat the test cycle on the ice for all non-studded tires. God, how slippery! On the eve of the braking distance from a speed of 35 km / h was 16-19 meters [at 16 degF], the best result today - 34.7 meters! And the acceleration time has doubled....."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back