2012 Ford Fusion Sport Amsoil SS 5W-20 10,766

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, as you noticed from the title, I drive a 2012 Ford Fusion Sport AWD. It gets a mix of HWY\City but mostly highway miles. I do tend to drive it a bit faster\aggressively than the general population but nothing excessive. One thing notable in this UOA compared to the last is the decrease in Iron. Ive run the Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 in it for the last few changes. I had been thinking of going to the Amsoil 0W-20 for the higher VI since it gets pretty cold around here, but I got a really good deal off of Amazon on some 0W-20 Royal Purple\Filter that I couldn't pass up.

Here is my most recent UOA

Code:

Comments: Remember the days not too long ago when you were running just 3,000 miles on the oil? What a waste! Okay,

well, not a waste for the factory oil because it had a lot of wear-in metal and silicon in it, but now that that stuff has

cleared out, you'd be throwing away good oil if you changed it every 3,000 miles. You're up to well over 10,000 miles

on the oil and everything here looks very good. Iron improved a bit -- which is unusual, but impressive -- and other

metals are steady enough to show no real issues. The TBN is still strong. Try for 12,000 miles. Nice!

OIL Amsoil Signature Series 5W20

MILES IN USE 10,766

MILES 37,819

SAMPLE TAKEN 11/08/13

ALUMINUM 7

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 20

COPPER 41

LEAD 1

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 126

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 7

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 3

BORON 44

SILICON 18

SODIUM 17

CALCIUM 3298

MAGNESIUM 15

PHOSPHORUS 604

ZINC 676

BARIUM 1

SUS VIS 210ºF 57.8

cSt @ 100ºC 9.60

FLASHPOINT ºF 360

FUEL%
ANTIFREEZE% 0.0

WATER 0.0

INSOLUBLES 0.2

TBN 3.5

Here is the previous UOA...

Code:

Comments:This is the longest oil run yet for the 3.5L in your Fusion, and the only wear metal that noticed is iron. That's

normal. We expect iron to go up the longer you run the oil, and a reading of 28 ppm is still fine in our book. The other

metals look great so if iron doesn't bother you (it shouldn't!), then try for 12,000 miles next time. The oil can take it --

you've still got some active additive left with a 2.2 TBN. As you can see, the TBN doesn't drop in a straight line so you

may very well be able to do 15,000 miles after that. No fuel or coolant found. Nice engine.

OIL Amsoil Signature Series 5W20

MILES IN USE 10,070

MILES 27,053

SAMPLE TAKEN 05/12/13

ALUMINUM 7

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 28

COPPER 32

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 133

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 6

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 81

SILICON 16

SODIUM 30

CALCIUM 3314

MAGNESIUM 18

PHOSPHORUS 667

ZINC 754

BARIUM 1

SUS VIS 210ºF 56.7

cSt @ 100ºC 9.27

FLASHPOINT ºF 400

FUEL%
INSOLUBLES 0.3

WATER 0

TBN 2.2

Not sure this is the right 5w20 oil for your car. A shorter oci followed by a UOA should help find a one more suited for your engine. Universal averages would be a good start for comparison studies.

Last edited:
Here is a LINK to the pdf of the UOA, sorry I forgot to post that. I did notice that copper was a little high. Blackstone is saying everything is good to go but from the poking around I've done around here looking at other peoples UOA's I feel like it should be better. My first two oil changes were using RP 5W-20 before I switched to Amsoil SS. I did notice a slight decrease in MPG after the switch, may or may not be related. Anyway I've since swapped over to RP 0W-20 so we'll see how that does.

My personal opinion is that if you going to change the oil out close to the factory recommend interval just use the recommended oil from the factory and save a few bucks, Ford has tested motorcraft for 10K OCI's and knows it will more than due to job of protecting your engine as well as any WSS approved oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back