2012 Chevy Sonic - Ignition-system Problems

This car seems to be in pretty bad shape for 78k miles and 9 years. Doesn't make me feel great about my current daily driver :LOL:
There's been some deferred maintenance. It was trouble-free for the first few years, and easy on gas. Based on what I've seen, it's a well-built car. It's just beginning to rust where the rear wheel wells transition to plastic bumper cover - not bad for a car of its age here.

My pet peeves would be no temperature gauge, and no (automatic) transmission dipstick.

I think the hatch model with a manual transmission would be a hoot.

Received the new valve cover on Thursday, and installed it this morning. The car seems to me to idle better, but I might be imagining it.

Likewise, it seems to be easier to remove the oil filler cap on the VC when the engine's running. (There seemed to be a lot of suction before, which I attributed to the open PCV valve not regulating the high vacuum at idle.). So I'm hoping this will reduce the oil consumption too.

Torqued the VC volts to 70 inch-lbs as specified, which was tighter than I would have gone by feel alone. No oil leaks.

Between the new plugs, coil pack, alternator, VC gasket, and valve cover, my friend has spent about C$650 on parts, so I really hope the car gives him good service for a few years now.

Depending on how much he drives, he's looking at a timing belt in two or three years.

Gas is expensive here with the federal carbon tax being part of that increase - I paid close to C$1.30/litre earlier this week.

My friend will be able to drive his Dodge Grand Caravan less now, so will start recouping the money spent on parts for the Sonic, both in reduced wear and tear on the van and in gas savings.

Back