2012-2018 Ford Focus Oil Capacity Question

Jackson_Slugger

$50 Site Donor 2022
I have a 2016 Ford Focus 5sp 2.0L VCT naturally aspirated I just changed the oil on. While every source from manual to online shows the car takes just over 4.5 qts. I ended up putting in the entire 5 qt. jug of PUP to get it just below the full line on the dipstick. I also noticed the Ford dealer had written on the engine that they put in 5 qts. of Motorcraft Full Syn in the oil change before last.

Any owners out there that can confirm these cars actually take 5 qts. if completely drained, say, up on ramps?

Did you take it down off the ramps before checking the oil, and if you started the engine to drive it off the ramps did you leave it set several hours before checking oil level ???

I also go by the dipstick, not what the "book" says, and often have to add more to satisfy me that it is full.

Did you take it down off the ramps before checking the oil, and if you started the engine to drive it off the ramps did you leave it set several hours before checking oil level ???
Yeah, checked it piping hot. My guess is that the car's total capacity is 5 qts or slightly more for initial fill and that the dealers anticipate getting 4.53 out during changes as the car sits level on a lift...

My 2011, similar engine without DI, would always read 1/2 quart low on the first pull. I discovered this after adding a quart here and there when it was brand new and having well over the 4.5 quarts come out on the first oil change.

Back