2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/3.6 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

You have paid for 35-40% of the car in two years though? Seems like a bit of depreciation? I guess its not nearly as much as you'll see with the Cherokee if you get tired of it in a couple years though. Do you do a lot of miles? I wouldn't be happy with doubling or tripling my fuel bill, and most likely increase my maintenance bills, but that's me with a bit of a commute.

Well, in that time the car is up to 92,000 miles now and the next generation (new version of my prius) has been out since 2010. NOW the NEXT generation is arriving in 2015. So my 2007 will be 2 generations behind.
So with all said, I think thats pretty good!

I drive my Prius about 20k a year, but thats because driving it is cheap. We have taken it on several cross-country road trips.

And I agree. According to my fuelly, I have averaged 45.9mpg since I started logging my fuel consumption the first time I filled up. A friend, who owned a 2011 Jeep GC with the 3.6l said he averaged 17mpg over his 3 year lease. So I would in essence be using almost 2.5 more gas. Also my car payment would be at least $170 more per month. BUT I'd be gaining capabilities - towing and 4wd. I mean, you have to ask yourself why would anybody drive a Jeep that gets 17mpg vs. a more fuel efficient car, but we all like to blow our money in all different ways, right? lol

Last edited:
I guess for us, we would never have two SUV's. One car will get good mileage and the other will do the grunt work, be it SUV or pickup.

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

You have paid for 35-40% of the car in two years though? Seems like a bit of depreciation? I guess its not nearly as much as you'll see with the Cherokee if you get tired of it in a couple years though. Do you do a lot of miles? I wouldn't be happy with doubling or tripling my fuel bill, and most likely increase my maintenance bills, but that's me with a bit of a commute.

Well, in that time the car is up to 92,000 miles now and the next generation (new version of my prius) has been out since 2010. NOW the NEXT generation is arriving in 2015. So my 2007 will be 2 generations behind.
So with all said, I think thats pretty good!

I drive my Prius about 20k a year, but thats because driving it is cheap. We have taken it on several cross-country road trips.

And I agree. According to my fuelly, I have averaged 45.9mpg since I started logging my fuel consumption the first time I filled up. A friend, who owned a 2011 Jeep GC with the 3.6l said he averaged 17mpg over his 3 year lease. So I would in essence be using almost 2.5 more gas. Also my car payment would be at least $170 more per month. BUT I'd be gaining capabilities - towing and 4wd. I mean, you have to ask yourself why would anybody drive a Jeep that gets 17mpg vs. a more fuel efficient car, but we all like to blow our money in all different ways, right? lol

That's what I like about having an older Jeep along with a fuel efficient car. If I need to tow or haul something, I have the Jeep. Since it's old and paid for , I don't mind if it sits around not getting used.

Meanwhile, my car gets >30MPG

I wouldn't trade. As you state, the Prius is great for racking up miles on. But more importantly, you state that, while you got enough for your trade-in to pay off the Prius value, you'd be starting all over again on the loam--and, in the process, paying $170 more per month. At $170/month I'd rather buy something at a "buy here, pay here" lot if I just had to have another vehicle.

Honestly, if you are committed to this deal, or even just semi-committed, put $170 each month into an envelope for next few years. Heck, go one step further: figure out the 2.5x increase in gas cost, subtract the 1x that your Prius is burning instead, and put that remainder (so, 1.5x what you are spending on gas) in too. My bet: in three years time you'd have the Prius paid off--and you could pay cash for a Jeep/tow vehicle as a side vehicle.

Oh, and getting the value of your loan means the vehicle depreciated by 40% (2 yr payments out 5 yr total). I'd call that a significant depreciation. Probably in line with a 7 year old vehicle with nearly 100k, and perhaps a fair trade-in value. But depreciated nevertheless.

So I would in essence be using almost 2.5 more gas. Also my car payment would be at least $170 more per month. BUT I'd be gaining capabilities - towing and 4wd.

You're also gaining something else: risk. And not because it's a Jeep or any other brand, but because it's an unknown to you. It could be great. And it could really suck. That's a cost that you have to assign. It sounds like you're figuring on buying the MaxCare warranty... If you're going into it believing that you'll have some warranty work to do, you also have to figure in the cost of your own time (or that of your family) when it has to go to the dealer for repairs or recalls. This is the case with any new-to-you vehicle. We had a minivan that was really quite frustrating. It didn't cost us a dime due to all of the dealer visits were under warranty (except for a rental car that Corporate stiffed us a day on), but the frustration was real.

My continued recommendation is to keep the car you know. I like supton's idea. Figure out what you spend in gas and payment on your Prius each month. I don't know what your loan is (x), but your estimates indicate you spend $126/month on gas. Your Jeep loan will be x+170 and your Jeep gas will be $126x2.5=$317.

Prius monthly cost: x + 126.
Jeep monthly cost: x + 170 + 317 = x + 487.

I'd put the extra $361/month (that you're considering obligating anyway) into savings. If you have three years left on your Prius, and if you sock $4332/year into savings, you'll have $13,000 in cash when your Prius is paid off.

At that point, find a 4WD vehicle that is known reliable (like from a coworker, friend, or family member who is selling and who knows the history) and pay cash for it. You reduce the risk to you and you continue driving something you know to be 100% reliable.

Congratulations on your promotion!

I find when faced with an expensive decision that does not need to be made immediately, it is always best to wait. The decision will become clear in time as emotion fades and logic prevails.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I find when faced with an expensive decision that does not need to be made immediately, it is always best to wait. The decision will become clear in time as emotion fades and logic prevails.

I wish I had learned this at a younger age. Nothing is worse than being really excited about a purchase only to learn in a week, 2 weeks, et cetera that it was a mistake. I now take some time to make sure it is right before I pull the trigger. I've avoided a lot of mistakes that way.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar

I wish I had learned this at a younger age. Nothing is worse than being really excited about a purchase only to learn in a week, 2 weeks, et cetera that it was a mistake. I now take some time to make sure it is right before I pull the trigger. I've avoided a lot of mistakes that way.

I was the opposite. I took my time when I was young and waited and thought things thru. Ended up thinking my way out of a few opportunities I wish I had taken

Now I kinda wish I jumped the gun a little more and seen where things took me.

Sure would be a different life than I have now.

I hate to revive this thread after all of the good advice that has been given, pro & against, but I am still thinking about the Jeep GC.

To make matters worse, the dealership now has acquired a 2012 Laredo X - which has the adjustable suspension and more advanced transfer case. It also has a moonroof and a few other options that the other nicely loaded Laredo I was looking at didnt have.

They are asking $1,000 more for the Laredo X.

After a week of "sleeping on it", I still feel like I should do it
crazy.gif

Only issue on the jeep is the head on the 3.6, they have replaced a lot of them pre2013 but warranty all to 150K, might ask if that applies to 2nd owners.

If you can afford the gas, go for it. I would keep the Prius and add the jeep to the fleet.

BTW I have a 02 WJ, has been most reliable vehichle I have owned.
2 sets of plugs, 1 set of rotors and pads front and back, 1 set of rebuilt calipers for the rear brakes, 1 pair of tweeters in the dash, and fluid changes, that is it in 12 years.

Jeeps get screwed in ratings because once they are sold 2nd hand people take and modify and beat the [censored] out of em, then [censored] about reliability LOL

I hate to revive this thread after all of the good advice that has been given, pro & against, but I am still thinking about the Jeep GC.

To make matters worse, the dealership now has acquired a 2012 Laredo X - which has the adjustable suspension and more advanced transfer case. It also has a moonroof and a few other options that the other nicely loaded Laredo I was looking at didnt have.

They are asking $1,000 more for the Laredo X.

After a week of "sleeping on it", I still feel like I should do it
crazy.gif

Does this one have a Hemi? They do have fewer issues, and the 12's in general has less issues than 2011s. Do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back