2011 Fusion pulls left during braking

Not sure why. It pulls left under medium to hard braking. Rotors and pads were replaced less than 2 years ago, along with a brake fluid flush, and symptoms did not improve. Slide pins are well-lubricated and not seized at all, and all caliper pistons compressed without drama when installing the new hardware. Braking surfaces are wearing normally on all four corners. I’m thinking it might be a shock/strut failing, as they are all original? Or do I have a bad caliper somehow?

It sound like there may be an issue with the right side caliper or caliper hose. It could be a suspension issue also when the car nose dives under braking. Too bad real brake and shock/strut test dyno's are not common in the US.
Lots of checking and looking and guessing when a simple 5 min test would identify the issue accurately and instantly.

It sound like there may be an issue with the right side caliper or caliper hose. It could be a suspension issue also when the car nose dives under braking. Too bad real brake and shock/strut test dyno's are not common in the US.
Lots of checking and looking and guessing when a simple 5 min test would identify the issue accurately and instantly.
You mentioned the right side caliper/hose. Will a problem on the right cause the car to veer left? That’s how I understand it, but wanted to be sure.

A bad control arm bushing can cause that, one lower control arm deflects, changing toe, and causing a pull.

I would check those.

Another one is Stabilizer Bar end link.
I had one broken in the suburban and it was like driving in the movie.

Trav is correct, we don't have a crystal ball to tell exactly what is wrong.
It needs some visual inspection.

I just watched an FTM vid about brake pull....he says if it just drifts left when driving, most likely problem on left. If it goes left when braking, the opposite is typically true, ie problem on right

But yeah, I'd start out by inspecting TREs, wheel bearings, control arm bushings.....if nothing else because this should take ~5 minutes and virtually no tools aside from maybe a floor jack and a small pry bar

I just watched an FTM vid about brake pull....he says if it just drifts left when driving, most likely problem on left. If it goes left when braking, the opposite is typically true, ie problem on right

But yeah, I'd start out by inspecting TREs, wheel bearings, control arm bushings.....if nothing else because this should take ~5 minutes and virtually no tools aside from maybe a floor jack and a small pry bar

It all depends on the architecture. Is the tie rod in front or behind the axle for example.

You stated they are wearing normally, but does that mean they are wearing EVENLY? If both sides of front, and both of rear, are wearing equal to the other side, then it is more likely a suspension problem. If you instead have the right side pad wearing less, more likely a caliper or hose problem, or air in that line.

Either way, at this age it is due for a suspension inspection, including examining the struts for rust, leaks, and a bounce test to see if overly worn though the ride quality should indicate that as well.

If all else fails, take it in for an alignment. If something is worn to the point where it can't be aligned, the tech should find the problem and let you know it needs fixed first.

First thing to rule out is tires. Swap the front tires left to right and retest. While swapping the tires give the suspension and brake parts a real good look over and manipulation.

Well, found the issue today when swapping out the winter tires… broken front passenger-side spring. I found a broken off piece wedged in the lower perch, and also a chunk of spring behind the wheel in my gravel driveway. Ordered a pair of decent quick-struts, should be an easy fix. Thanks for the advice.

I know OP already ordered but Motorcraft is now offering quick struts for many applications. No idea if the Fusion is covered

Not sure why. It pulls left under medium to hard braking. Rotors and pads were replaced less than 2 years ago, along with a brake fluid flush, and symptoms did not improve. Slide pins are well-lubricated and not seized at all, and all caliper pistons compressed without drama when installing the new hardware. Braking surfaces are wearing normally on all four corners. I’m thinking it might be a shock/strut failing, as they are all original? Or do I have a bad caliper somehow?
Check your tires, it’s same symptom, also ball joints tie rods and front struts

Back