2010 Corolla Sport, Need advice on oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I recently bought a 2010 Corolla Sport with the 1.8 L engine & 4 speed auto transmission.
First the info that may help.
The car has 32,000 miles on it. 95 % of my driving is highway & I typically drive 50 to 65 mph. Most trips are 15 minimum miles as I live in a rural area.
I live in Canada, east coast maritime area & temps in summer average in the 70's & winters can be -20's.
The manual says the engine oil should be "Toyota Genuine or equivalent"
"Oil Grade:ILSAC Multigrade Recommended viscosity: SAE 5W-20 or SAE 0W-20"
The manual also states that "SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy & good starting in cold weather."
It states that the engine takes "5.5 L or 4.8 Imperial quart.

The recommended change interval states replacing the oil & filter every 8000 klm or roughly 4800 miles.

No known problems with the car.

What I'd like help with is would switching to synthetic oil help protect the engine better & prolong it's life?
And with 32,000 miles on it & considering the info I provided, which synthetic oil should I go with that is highly regarded for protection etc?

Also what type/brand of oil filter would be best for the synthetic oil with this engine?

I'm really lost on the abreviations used in some of the posts, so if you could help by typing the whole names I'd appreciate it a lot.

Oh, since I don't know what kind of oil was used for sure in the car prior, is there anything I should know for instance if I switch to synthetic should I replace it sooner than typical after the first change?

I'm not sure if all the synthetic oils in the U.S. can be bought easily here in Canada or not.

Hope I've made this request clear, if not let me know & many thanks for any input.
I really want to make this car last a long time & I do look after my rigs well with regular maintenance, Rust Check etc.

Mobil 1, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Pennzoil, Amsoil. Plus, by your description you should be able to extend your OCI to say 10K miles.

There are many quality synthetic oils at Walmart for $25 or less for a 5 QT jug. Either 0W-20 or 5W20 would be fine.

You probably will not notice too much. The engine will turn over faster when its cold out. Extend your OCI within warranty requirements.

Go to the Toyota dealership and see how cheap you can get a case of Toyota Genuine motor oil in 0w20 synthetic flavor. It's pretty good stuff even in Canada.

Quaker Statte Ultimate Durability is usually a pretty good value in Canada too.

I would go more by whats on sale than picking a certain brand. You will only have so many choices in 0w20 and that's what i would use.

For filter, i recommend the Fram Ultra which is rated for 15,000 miles between changes and has 99% efficiency at 20 microns, which is the best stats in the business for the price.

If you want to change it every OCI, the Fram Tough Guard is also 99% efficiency at 20 microns and rated for up to 10k miles oil change intervals.

With 0w20 being same price as 5w20 I'd use that. I personally use Amsoil 0w20 and have been doing 10k-12k intervals.

Over the counter oils I'd choose Penzoil platinum 0w20

Go with whatever you can find on sale in 0W20. Check your local Canadian Tire flyer, as I do recall seeing 5L jugs of Castrol black and gold bottles on sale starting tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

If you want to change it every OCI, the Fram Tough Guard is also 99% efficiency at 20 microns and rated for up to 10k miles oil change intervals.

+1

TGMO in Canada can be had for as low as $5 a litre. Find your closest Toyota or Lexus dealer and get a deal on a case for $60 bucks, doesn't get easier or cheaper for an extremely high quality OEM synthetic oil, hint, see specs... TGMO will also do a 10,000km oc with ease.
Take a look at the VOA section on TGMO and compare the specs, add packs Kv40, 100 and Vi to other oils, differences should be apparent. You can also compare cost of other synthetics, you'll see a difference there to.
Whatever oil you choose, choose wisely and base it on facts, not opinions...

Filter choice would be OEM or comparable. Asian vehicles favor flow over filtration, so a filter with those qualities would be good. A good compromise can be the Fram Toughgard, higher flow and good filtration, good for 10,000km too.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back