2010 Caliber test drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you know, lately I've been on a test drive spree, and most I haven't considered important enough to make a topic about. But this one, I remembered a few comments and I wanted to give my take on. Well, today after school I headed over to Saratoga Chrysler Jeep Dodge, and test drove a 2010 Dodge Caliber SXT (aka mainstream) 2.0L DOHC, CVT, sunroof, etc. And you know what? If I had the funds, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I love it. The CVT is MUCH less annoying than the 2.5L Altima (I'm taking critics word that the 3.5L is much better) It isn't FAST, but it can get out of its own way quite a bit faster than my cavalier. The interior was a big improvement in terms of materials over the 2007 I sat in a few months ago.

The ride was smooth and quiet. The 2.0L engine, while not what I'd called "refined" was not too loud, and had a nice "Growl" to it, compared to the focus, fusion etc. There is gobs of interior space, the back seat has lots of headroom, and with the seats folded down it is simply cavernous. Interior materials are once again vastly improved, and though not on par with the fusion, mazda3, it is better than the current focus and cobalt. It looks great to boot. Sound system is epic. All I can say is I love it. If it is still around when I buy a new car, it will likely be near the top of my list. Made in Belvedere Indiana too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would look elsewhere if you care about fuel economy. My buddy only averages 21.8 mpg half highway/half city.

It is a heavy car with a tiny, low-tech engine.

Many new small cars are coming out that are looking to change the landscape: new Ford Focus, Chevy Cruze, Ford Fiesta, not to mention the new CRZ from Honda.

If it's in your price range, I'd also highly suggest you drive a VW GTI...loads of fun for $25K

Originally Posted By: drewjp
I would look elsewhere if you care about fuel economy. My buddy only averages 21.8 mpg half highway/half city.

It is a heavy car with a tiny, low-tech engine.

Many new small cars are coming out that are looking to change the landscape: new Ford Focus, Chevy Cruze, Ford Fiesta, not to mention the new CRZ from Honda.

If it's in your price range, I'd also highly suggest you drive a VW GTI...loads of fun for $25K

I know it's going to be exciting when I am finally ready to buy a new car. The new foucs, cruze fiesta. Will porbably look at the VW and Honda, but definitely won't be buying them (personal reasons), but the caliber is very nice too.

I wouldn't call it heavy and low tech. It weighs about what my cavalier does, maybe a little more. I also wouldn't call the World 2.0L DOHC, VVT, 16V engine low tech. It is almost brand new, co-developed by Mitsu and Hyundai, and is the same 2.0L Engine used in those cars.

Dubbed as one of the worst vehicles of 2010 right next to the nitro....Couldnt give me a caliber, nitro or liberty

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Dubbed as one of the worst vehicles of 2010 right next to the nitro....Couldnt give me a caliber, nitro or liberty

Well, I am not a fan of the nitro and the liberty is mediocre at best. But those have poor reliability ratings, the Caliber is rated above average, the only one for Chrysler. Where was it dubbed worst car of 2010, and by whom?

Check out a base jeep Patriot - you can get them for around 14k up here. and it has the larger 2.4 world engine if you opt for a MT. I think its built on the same platform as the Caliber. Almost got one over the subaru - but pricing wasnt right at the time for the 4WD my wife insisted on. The resale seems poor on the caliber if that means anything. The important thing is to get a good sample of whateevr car you buy - and a lot of that is just luck
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Steve S
I wouldn't consider Chrysler because of the product and because it was bailed out , Same with G.M.

I still don't understand why politics matters to people when buying a car. It's the same mentality that kept the big 3 alive while building nothing but junk at certain times in their lives too.

Buy based on what you like/can get a deal on/fits your needs.

My family from my hometown always ragged on me for driving a Nissan, that they don't put money in Canada/local economy, whaetver... They can keep driving cars based on stupid reasons like that for all I care. At the end of the day, I'm driving what I like, not limiting myself on brands because of things that don't matter.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Originally Posted By: DieselTech

Well, I am not a fan of the nitro and the liberty is mediocre at best. But those have poor reliability ratings, the Caliber is rated above average, the only one for Chrysler. Where was it dubbed worst car of 2010, and by whom?

I read this on AOL a couple weeks back. The caliber and nitro were 1 and 2, but I'm not sure in which order. I work on dodges everyday and the engines are decent especially the cummins and hemi are well build but the rest of the vehicle is just plain garbage. My sig might seem biased but I work on the big 3 brands for living and each have their strong points. Body structure interior and wear items such as window regulators, door lock actuators, and odd rattles are what I find are always being complained about in the dodge lineup. Even my customers with Crystler product outside of their dodge dont seem to have the issues the dodges do. Just seems like the skimp in areas that can be real annoying to the customer

If the car works for you, get it! Then proceed to get 15 years and 200k miles out of it before it's a pile of rust.

I'm looking for a new(er) car than my 11-year-old Buick. A little hatch would fit the bill quite nicely.

Just buy the Mazda 3s instead. You won't regret it.

Plus Calibers don't attract women. With a Mazda 3, you might have a chance.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Just buy the Mazda 3s instead. You won't regret it.

Plus Calibers don't attract women. With a Mazda 3, you might have a chance.

I do like the mazda3 a lot. But I like this not as much, but still alot, and it would be worth it to me to get it. I find the whole thing quite attractive. (Besides, if I wanted to buy a car to pick up girls, I'd get a jeep, or a 70s, 80s muscle car)

2010-dodge-caliber-world-interior.jpg

2010-Dodge-Caliber-Image-011-800.jpg

2010_dodge_caliber_02.jpg

dodge_caliber10.JPG

(Besides, if I wanted to buy a car to pick up girls, I'd get a jeep, or a 70s, 80s muscle car)

Most girls I know would dig a BMW or an luxury car rather than an old, smelly clunker. Must be regional differences.

Originally Posted By: drewjp

That's pretty bad for what is suppose to be an economy car. I get 20-21 doing 1/3 highway and the rest city and I have a v6.

The Caliber screams rental to me. And in regards to picking up girls, I have to agree with Mr.Wan that this car probably wouldn't do the trick. Down here, if you have an expensive car or a lifted pick up then you're golden.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
The truth about cars review.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/dodge-caliber-20/

Top gear review:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/dodge/caliber

These prove that critics of all kind are snobby. Movie critics, game critics, car critics... They can say what they want. Take those with a grain of salt. Heck, the topgear one shouldn't be looked at with anything other than humor. I like the caliber a lot. I think it looks nice, and is composed on the road, and the steering isn't THAT numb. I'd say none at all.

I rented a Caliber last year for 5 hours..It had to be the worst car I ever drove in my entire life...I drove it 60 miles and it burned alot more gas then my 4.6 or my friends Expedition...I thought that little POS would be good on fuel.

Why anyone would by a ***** looking,gas guzzling,horrible riding Caliber baffles me.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
The truth about cars review.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/dodge-caliber-20/

Top gear review:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/dodge/caliber

These prove that critics of all kind are snobby. Movie critics, game critics, car critics... They can say what they want. Take those with a grain of salt. Heck, the topgear one shouldn't be looked at with anything other than humor. I like the caliber a lot. I think it looks nice, and is composed on the road, and the steering isn't THAT numb. I'd say none at all.

Since I am "The Critic," what does that make me?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back