2009 Taurus strut mount noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Ford Taurus Limited FWD with 108,000 miles. This weekend I replaced the struts, springs and mounts with Monroe quickstruts.

Rockauto parts

The reason for the replacement was the old mounts made a clunking noise over bumps and potholes.

One of the new mounts seems to be stiff. That is, the spring makes a "boing" noise when I turn the wheel. It's not terrible but it was a lot of work for something to be "almost" right.

Is it possible the new mount will break in and allow the spring to rotate freely after a few miles? Or will it only get worse?
My option is to live with it or remove it and return it to Rockauto, which means I will be down a car for several days and have to go through the removal/installation hassle again.

Does anyone have any advise? Yeah, I know "get something other than Monroe". But they seem to have a lot of satisfied customers from the reviews.

Terry

That's not okay and you need to fix it. Did you chuck the old parts already?

I still have the old parts. I am considering buying the mounts and keeping the old struts and springs if I have to redo it. The old struts still rode and handled great.
Terry

Last edited:
Well the springs usually settle after a couple weeks. But it's possible the mount is bad. I was chasing a noise for a while and didn't believe it could be the struts as I had changed them with Monroes about a year earlier. When I finally changed them a couple years later, the noise went away, I guess the mounts had worn out really quickly. There's no perfect strut though, some people like KYB, others hate them, same even with Moog. Sometimes it the luck of the draw whether you get a good set or not.

checkout sensen shocks and struts

sensen

replaced my 98 F150 shocks with sensen truck handled mint and road wonderful.

Total guess is you have something binding in the top mount. Back off on the bolts to the body and maybe a turn or 2 on the strut's top nut. Re-tighten after giving the mount a good shake to check stuff and to take out any bind from mis alignment. Back stuff off until you have only a full nut. Be careful to tighten the 3 (?) bolts evenly. don't forget top nut.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Total guess is you have something binding in the top mount. Back off on the bolts to the body and maybe a turn or 2 on the strut's top nut. Re-tighten after giving the mount a good shake to check stuff and to take out any bind from mis alignment. Back stuff off until you have only a full nut. Be careful to tighten the 3 (?) bolts evenly. don't forget top nut.

Agreed. Figure out why the assembly is binding. Remove the top mount and inspect. A lot of these quick struts use a different upper insulator and different spring seat design than the OE part.

An update. Thanks for the replies. I loosened the four bolts on the top of the strut mount and torqued them to the service manual specification.
No change.
The Monroe installation instructions say to torque the nut on the strut top rod after installation, however this is not possible on a 2009 Taurus with the unit installed.
I sent Monroe an email and am awaiting their reply.
Terry

Originally Posted By: terry274
The Monroe installation instructions say to torque the nut on the strut top rod after installation, however this is not possible on a 2009 Taurus with the unit installed.

You need special tools to torque them on my car, you have to hold the piston somehow and then use a 90 degree adapter to torque them. I usually just blast them with my impact lol, I have never had a problem but would like to know if there is an issue with this and how the pros do it.

Just tell them you torqued it. I have a feeling they might give you a hard time about that.

Last edited:
I called Monroe this morning. Kevin at Monroe said the he believed the strut mounts had been assembled incorrectly at the factory and he is sending me new strut mounts.

So, now I get to remove the struts again and compress the springs. Not having to compress the springs was the reason for the quickstrut. If I had been willing to compress the springs at the start I would have went with the Motorcraft parts.

On a positive note, the car rides and drives great with the Monroe struts.

Terry

I called Monroe this morning. Kevin at Monroe said the he believed the strut mounts had been assembled incorrectly at the factory and he is sending me new strut mounts.

So, now I get to remove the struts again and compress the springs. Not having to compress the springs was the reason for the quickstrut. If I had been willing to compress the springs at the start I would have went with the Motorcraft parts.

What? No way! You bought a Quick-Strut, so if one is defective you get a new... Quick-Strut. Tell them you have no tools to disassemble the product you bought. Plus, what is the guarantee you will assemble it correctly? That responsibility is on them, not you.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

What? No way! You bought a Quick-Strut, so if one is defective you get a new... Quick-Strut. Tell them you have no tools to disassemble the product you bought. Plus, what is the guarantee you will assemble it correctly? That responsibility is on them, not you.

01.gif

Or go ahead and get some decent spring compressors and on any future strut jobs, you will same money and have a better assembly. I bought spring compressors 25 years ago, more than paid for themselves. Its not not hard or dangerous if you are mechanically inclined.

I received the new mounts today. Monroe sent the wrong parts. I started a return request with Rockauto and ordered Motorcraft struts and mounts.

I am done with Monroe.

Terry

Last edited:
On some care you can pry down the suspension and replace the strut mount busing/ bearing without removing the strut. Not sure about a taures.

Originally Posted By: silveravant
On some care you can pry down the suspension and replace the strut mount busing/ bearing without removing the strut. Not sure about a taures.

I have not had a car i could do that on, curious what models that would work on.

I got my Motorcraft struts and mounts from Rockauto. They are installed and worked great on a test drive. No noise or binding at all.

Rockauto supplied a return shipping label and I should get a full refund on the Monroe struts next week.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back