2009 BMW 535xi, LiquiMoly 5W40 Leichtlauf, 6200 miles

Cleaner was in use for the last 300 miles (2% concentration)

7C40662E-8081-441C-BE3B-24A14DB7734D.jpeg

26AC140D-57CB-4CFA-9955-D40BD6F71A06.jpeg

00B17CF8-3122-4C02-B279-4A45B323887A.jpeg

And here's your results! It seems like the cleaner didn't cause anything out of the ordinary. Slight tick up of copper but nothing major from the previous results. Will you post the filter? Per our previous conversation, On to 5%... 😎

And here's your results! It seems like the cleaner didn't cause anything out of the ordinary. Slight tick up of copper but nothing major from the previous results. Will you post the filter? Per our previous conversation, On to 5%... 😎

-Cleaner had a good dose of additives in it which I did not expect.

The high amount of boron is similar to blue restore gen 1 (236ppm). I had noticed the car was extra quiet and couldn’t figure it out.

It’s too bad other oils don’t see a high dose as I noticed the same effect with blue restore.

HPL HDEO used to have a high amount before it got reformulated to CK-4.

-I wonder if the slight increase in copper is wear or chelation

20DD5AE2-4867-4994-B760-2BF48B1BD760.jpeg

-mildly interesting to see Barium in the UOA

54E86912-ED6C-42BB-8FBC-09AD03C2B2A7.jpeg

No filter post unfortunately as my mechanic did the oil change. From here on out, I’ll be doing the filter swaps so there will be photos.

-Cleaner had a good dose of additives in it which I did not expect.

The high amount of boron is similar to blue restore gen 1 (236ppm). I had noticed the car was extra quiet and couldn’t figure it out.

It’s too bad other oils don’t see a high dose as I noticed the same effect with blue restore.

HPL HDEO used to have a high amount before it got reformulated to CK-4.
Which oil sample # shows this oil without the cleaner?
-I wonder if the slight increase in copper is wear or chelation
Could be the cleaning effect & removing some loose debris or chelation. With the viscosity in good order & the cleaner not being real thin leads me to believe it's not wear.

No filter post unfortunately as my mechanic did the oil change. From here on out, I’ll be doing the filter swaps so there will be photos.
I'm really interested in seeing these filters cut. I'll wait for the next one. 😀

Could be the cleaning effect & removing some loose debris or chelation. With the viscosity in good order & the cleaner not being real thin leads me to believe it's not wear.

I'm really interested in seeing these filters cut. I'll wait for the next one. 😀
The oxidation numbers don't point to esters (which we generally associate with chelation) being present here.

#3/4

The oxidation numbers don't point to esters (which we generally associate with chelation) being present here.

I'm guessing it's slight wear then from driving the car hard when the cleaner was present.

Looks like blackstone has higher averages for this engine:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...n54-3-0l-castrol-edge-0w-40-4k-mi-oci.335337/
9ppm every 4000miles

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2008-bmw-335i-n54-2049mi-track-usage.240347/
12ppm every 2000 miles?

Normally, this car is a grocery getter or the dog's private limo so not surprised my numbers are lower

On the older UOA from 2015, they say their universal averages are based on 6000 mi runs. On the newer UOA, the universal averages are more accurate because there's another 5 years of data in them. We don't know if the 2020 UA are still based on 6000 mi runs or if that changed as well. But let's just say they are still based on 6k mi runs. That would yield the following healthy averages of metals for this engine per 1000 mi:
Al: 5/6=0.83
Ch: 1/6=0.17
Fe: 23/6=3.83
Cu: 9/6=1.5
Pb: 1/6=0.17
Sn: 1/6=0.17

That's a total of 40ppm metals per 6k miles = 6.67ppm per 1000 mi. For a healthy engine.

Your results are about 3.8ppm per 1000 mi.

I've seen posts from Mola & others not to associate Ox value to esters.
#3/4

I'm guessing it's slight wear then from driving the car hard when the cleaner was present.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...n54-3-0l-castrol-edge-0w-40-4k-mi-oci.335337/
9ppm every 4000miles

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2008-bmw-335i-n54-2049mi-track-usage.240347/
12ppm every 2000 miles?

Normally, this car is a grocery getter or the dog's private limo so not surprised my numbers are lower
Thanks

I've seen posts from Mola & others not to associate Ox value to esters.
You can't use the oxidation number to determine the relative ester content. IE, 45 vs 90, doesn't mean the latter has twice as much ester. Different esters impact the virgin oxidation figure differently. However, elevated virgin oxidation is generally a signature for ester content.

Back