2008 Outback buzzing noise in R, with engine not running?

I decided to replace the 2 reverse bulbs on my 2008 Outback with LEDs. The original incandescent bulbs are type 921 and I got an LED "equivalent". Swapped the bulbs and then switched the ignition switch to " ON", but didn't start the engine - then moved (auto) transmission into "R" position. I hear a buzzing noise from under the hood. I think: "Great, these LEDs aren't drop in replacements". Turn key to OFF and put original incandescent bulbs back in, repeat the key/transmission and STILL get the buzzing noise. Then I put the LED bulbs back in started the engine and shifted into " R" with the brake applied - the noise is there, but barely percievable over the sound of the engine.

So it doesn't seem related to the bulb and may have been there before as I usually start the engine before shifting into Reverse and usually have the radio on and likely would never notice it. Any ideas what might be the cause? I didn't open the fuse & relay compartment under the hood but it sounds like it's emanating from under the engine.

Pretty sure it isn't a fan - the sound isn't from the front. I just am wonderung if there's any thing like a solenoid that gets energized for reverse. BTW the noise only occurs with the shift lever in reverse (not when in park or drive), and happens when the engine is or isn't running.

Back