2008 Nissan Maxima Mobil 1 0W40 12,000 miles on oil. 240,000 miles on car

Originally Posted by Artem
I agree. Stick with 10k regardless of the top off oil added. I'm willing to bet nothing will happen for a long time.

Perhaps many years down the road, once the bearings have had enough, it might start knocking or something but it may just keep chewing itself into pieces and run for many years as is.

Like I said, it would be interesting to see and perform these types of REAL WORLD tests, if the owner is willing to use the car as test bed.

thumbsup2.gif

Yes, that is what I have decided. Especially because I do top off new fluid. So, I will only change this oil at 10,000 miles. And it gives me good reason to do another oil analysis then.

The car is at 243,100 miles today. I topped it off with 3/4 quart today. Usually I just wait until it needs 1 quart before I top off, but this time I just put the little that it required. So, maybe in 1,000miles, I will put the remaining 1/4 that is left to make a full quart.

Originally Posted by billpace1956
Here is a thought. I would look into the air filtration system. Get that resolved and you will see 300,000 miles easy. I also like your idea of 10,000 miles oci's. I would use the fram tough guard filter . It is rated for 10,000 miles and will do a great job for less money!! The funny part in this is you will maybe see 400,000 miles! Those Maxima's are great cars and will last for many miles. I work with a gal that has one and she is going to retire next year and move to Alaska. I'm going to retire next year also and I'm going to be shameless and try to buy her car ( she keeps it in great shape!) by telling her that it might be a hard move with the car and all, why not just sell it to me!!

Good suggestions. I will look into my filtration system. Well, for one I realized my cabin filter and air filter are filthy. I hate that I waited so long to change them. I did install new cabin filter and I am waiting for the air filter from ebay to be delivered someday this week and I will install that.

Then still talking about my filtration system. My ac has been out for about a month now. I ordered freon from ebay. Got it this weekend and installed in. Now it seems I need to wear a jacket when I turn my ac on. Talk about being in the north pole when that ac is on. It is conveniently very cold.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So, I hope when I change all those filters and now with a new ac running, I am curious how my oil analysis will be months from now when I send in a sample.

You mention I should use the Fram Tough Guard. But someone else suggested I use the Ultra Guard which is rated for 20,000 miles. I am shocked to see Fram saying their filter can last that long.Well, I do not plan to sun it that long. I will run it for sure for 10,000 miles. Next time when I do my oil change, I will even use the over size filter which will allow me run a bit more oil in my Maxima. And may temp me to go crazy and run a 15,000 oil change interval because of my top offs.

My oem filter is XG6607. But I see that my car can run the oversize XG7317. I have already read here of many people doing that to their Nissans.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by billpace1956
Here is a thought. I would look into the air filtration system. Get that resolved and you will see 300,000 miles easy. I also like your idea of 10,000 miles oci's. I would use the fram tough guard filter . It is rated for 10,000 miles and will do a great job for less money!! The funny part in this is you will maybe see 400,000 miles! Those Maxima's are great cars and will last for many miles. I work with a gal that has one and she is going to retire next year and move to Alaska. I'm going to retire next year also and I'm going to be shameless and try to buy her car ( she keeps it in great shape!) by telling her that it might be a hard move with the car and all, why not just sell it to me!!

Oh, I forgot to respond to the part about my car lasting a lot longer.

Right now, I am hoping this car can last me until 300,000 miles. I will be very satisfied with that. I paid $29,500 drive out for this car brand new in 2018. Well, I financed it for 5 years. So, add some interest on that. Car has lasted me 10 years now and given me 243,000 miles of awesome memories and drives and the highest speed I have hit on the odometer was 135mph. Car is still solid. And I hope to maintain it well enough for it to atleast give me 300,000 miles before it can die if it wants to. And I plan to get to that 300,000 miles. At first, I never thought I would even own this car to 250,000 miles. Bit I will get there in less than 6 months.

Hey, of you can buy the one from your coworker, buy it. Especially since you say it seems to be very well kept.

I have kept mine pretty too and tried to maintain it as well as I can. This car has been pretty good to me. I will be good to it too until it can not be fixed again.

Back