2008 Honda GL1800

Hello all.

Been thinking for a while to replace my 1997 H-D Bad Boy with something else. Main reason has been that with four bikes Bad Boy had become something to take out and ride to town for a cup of coffee and then back home. It was sort of without actual purpose.

So after considering various scenarios and possibilities I found this 2008 Gold Wing at a Harley dealer and after a lengthy 5 minute discussion we made a deal.

It has navi, cruise, airbag, stereo, heated seat and grips, ABS, central locking etc. and full service history. It has 70k kilometers ie. 44k miles on the clock. Called previous owner and everything he had to add was just positive. He got a newer Gold Wing.

Front is a fairly new Bridgestone Exedra G709 and the rear a somewhat older Dunlop Elite 4. Front has a bit of noise so I will local dealer change front wheel bearings and replace rear tyre with Bridgestone Exedra G704 while they are at it.

Engine now has Honda oil in. As there is no Honda dealer around I will use something else, most likely Motul 5100 10W40. Manual says 10W30 or 10W40.

I was wondering how do you rate Valvoline Synpower 4T 10W40?

That is oil that I'm a bit interested in.

OuTAZy6.jpg

Last edited:
I can't see how anyone riding a motorcycle has time for all that NAV and stuff, but hey, that's a nice bike! The fact that you can hear a wheel bearing or brake disc noise would be enough to sell me on one of these!
My neighbor just bought a used one and absolutely loves it!
I use Valvoline 10W-40 Full Syn 4 stroke Motorcycle oil in my Kaw, and noticed and improved smoothness and torque. It's rated SL/MA2 and it was better that T6 in those regards. $8.00 a quart though at AZ.

That motor does not care what brand of oil you use.
Just change it regularly along with other routine maintenance and ride.
I can't see how anyone riding a motorcycle has time for all that NAV and stuff, but hey, that's a nice bike! ...
You set the Nav before your trip, and then it just tells you where to go. Nothing to fiddle with.
Much easier than using a phone, and heaven forbid a paper map.

I got a Garmin motorcycle GPS (waterproof, motorcycle specific routing and features) and it is so nice to just set your route and as you ride it tells you when the turn is come up.

That's a beautiful bike. Because I'm an old rider, can't handle something like your Honda. My ride is smaller just like this one sans the expensive farkles. 🛵

1631392049143.jpg

I've put well over 150,000 miles on 3 different GL1800 Goldwings, including a 2008. I've yet to have anyone other than me change the oil in any of them. Just got home last night from a weekend trip that included 5 different states.

My first choice is the Amsoil Metric Motorcycle 10w-40. My backup choice would be Mobil Racing 4T 10w-40 (can be bought at WalMart).. Anything else would fall under the category "only if I had to...".

Thanks for all the comments.

You confirmed what I was expecting ie. that a Honda would run on just about any oily stuff.

I was looking at the local typical availability and that is in no specific order:
- Castrol Power 1 10W40
- Bel-Ray EXP 10W40
- Bel-Ray EXS 10W40
- Motul 5100 10W40
- Motul 7100 10W40
- Shell Advance Ultra 4T 10W40
- Valvoline Synpower 4T 10W40

Amsoil is available but not so easy to get. Mobil 1 4T is scarce as well - used to be very common back in the day. Both would be available if I order from Germany but don't think it is worth the effort.

Honda oils are available at the dealer but closest one 100 km away. And Honda GN4 costs more than Castrol and Motul. Cost of Valvoline Synpower is about the same as Motul 5100.

I have a jug of Motul 5100 10W40 on the shelf for EFE so I might use that for Honda. I plan to do 3000 mile OCIs anyway so semi-synthetic would do just well.

Always the same agony of what oil to use when you get another bike. 😁

FWIW, it looks like the recommendation until and including 2005 has been 10W40 and from 2006 onwards 10W30.

Engine itself is identical as far as I can tell so it is most likely because of less friction, better mileage etc.

Not so many 10W30 motorcycle oils available here so 10W40 it is.

There are plenty of UOA reports of 8000 mile oil changes on Goldwings using all different types of oil. All look good. You really have to try to hurt that engine.

Shell Rotella pops up often in oil discussions. As far as I can tell Rotella is not sold in Europe. We get Shell Rimula HDEO here but those oils do not have gas specifications at all.

Why 3,000 mile OCI's? The Gold wing is such a low stress engine, a 3000 mile oil change interval is very short in my opinion. It matters not with that short oil change interval whether you choose synthetic or conventional. All of them should maintain shift quality for that long and not shear.

Last edited:
Shell Rotella pops up often in oil discussions. As far as I can tell Rotella is not sold in Europe. We get Shell Rimula HDEO here but those oils do not have gas specifications at all.
Shell Rotella HDEO no longer has a gas rating either.
Most any HDEO is a safe choice for a wet clutch motorcycle.
Why 3,000 mile OCI's? The Gold wing is such a low stress engine, a 3000 mile oil change interval is very short in my opinion. It matters not with that short oil change interval whether you choose synthetic or conventional. All of them should maintain shift quality for that long and not shear.
I agree, this is not a high rev'ing race bike or old carb'ed bike.
It is a slow turning, fuel injected bike usually used for long distance travel. 3,000 miles is a very short interval.

For me 3000 mile OCI typically comes from limited length of our riding season, especially when there are several bikes to use.

Back