2008 Acura MDX, M1 5W20, 8500 mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I ran my 2008 Acura MDX for the full oil life monitor (it showed 0% oil life remaining). I was using Mobil One Synthetic 5W20 with a Purolator Pure One filter. Original stock Air Filter.

2008 Acura MDX - 3.7 L engine
Total Vehicle Mileage - 21000 miles
Mileage on oil - 8500 miles
Purolator Pure One Oil Filter
Honda OEM Air Filter (original)
Mobil One Synthetic 5W20 oil

Copper - 6.6
Chromium - 0.4
Iron - 14.3
Lead - 0.5
Aluminum - 7.1
Silicon - 18.6
Nickel - 0.5
Potassium - 0
Sodium - 30.7
Magnesium - 30.0
Zinc - 779.5
Molybdenum - 97.6
Tin - 0
Boron - 40.2
Phosphorous - 658
Calcium - 2340.0
Barium - 0.6
Silver - 0
Water - Neg
Glycol - Neg
Fuel - Neg

TBN 5.9

How do the above values look? Are all wear numbers okay? Should I be watching anything?

For reference, see below my previous oil change with OEM Honda oil (non-synthetic) and shorter OCI:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...193#Post1160193

For interest sake, I changed the oil to a much cheaper Motomaster Formula 1 Synthetic 5W20 (available in Canada from Canadian Tire and made by Shell). I'll be curious to see the analysis from it in six months.

Thanks!

Looks really good. Tbn of 5.9 is very high. Not sure about the Na.

This oil has a lot of life left.

The previous oil was changed by the dealer. OEM Honda 5W20 I assume (hopefully).

I was surprised the TBN was so much better this time since the Mobil 1 had so much more mileage.

I just want to make sure all wear metals are okay, as the car has had a "tick" since new at idle. However, I expect it is normal since the oil analysis seems to look good (I think).

Originally Posted By: c3uo
The previous oil was changed by the dealer. OEM Honda 5W20 I assume (hopefully).

That explains the sodium. The Honda 5W20 engine oil's additive package contains sodium.

It would then seem strange that the analysis showed a sodium of 15.4 with the Honda oil and is now 30.7 with the M1 oil. Does M1 add sodium?

Note that I do live on a salt water coastal region and in the winter we also heavily salt our roads (just a thought).

Originally Posted By: c3uo

I was surprised the TBN was so much better this time since the Mobil 1 had so much more mileage.

I just want to make sure all wear metals are okay, as the car has had a "tick" since new at idle. However, I expect it is normal since the oil analysis seems to look good (I think).

Many Honda engines do not have hydraulic lash adjusters on the cam followers. That causes ticking noises.

The oil was o.k. but I would just run it 6k to get the the wear metals out sooner. Time to check/replace the AF with a new oem AF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back