2007 Pilot w/ 10W-40

Probably a silly question but would I cause any issues running a 10W-40 in a Honda Pilot that only sees Phoenix, AZ weather?

Vehicle is starting to get a little leaky and I'd like to move from conventional 5W-30 to something a tad thicker. 10W-40 seems to be spec'd for this exact engine in other hot climates.

Are you considering a high mile oil like Valvoline?

Yes looking at a high mileage conventional oil. Vehicle is the non-VCM model.

Originally spec'd for 5w-20. Always ran 5w-30. Leaks got better with conventional 5w-30 but still there.

Main seal replacement along with the other leaking locations too $$$ to warrant fixing.

try mobil 1 10w-40 high mileage; it is a thinner 40-weight and is very good at stopping leaks, along with their 0w-40 FS.

Probably a silly question but would I cause any issues running a 10W-40 in a Honda Pilot that only sees Phoenix, AZ weather?

Vehicle is starting to get a little leaky and I'd like to move from conventional 5W-30 to something a tad thicker. 10W-40 seems to be spec'd for this exact engine in other hot climates.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220816-151716_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220816-151716_Chrome.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 83
I’ve been running M1 10-40 HM currently and the. 0-40 Euro prior to that in my son’s 2005 Pilot with 197k. Definitely has slowed oil drips and no oil related issues have surfaced.

Stopped by to pick up some PVC at Home Depot and bought a 5 qt container of Castrol 10W-40 High Mileage semi-synthetic.

Thanks!

A non-VCM J-Series won't care what you're running in it within reason.

Just plan on doing all the oil pump area seals when timing belt time comes and you won't add a ton of cost to the bill, and you'll get about 90% of the leaks these motors usually develop. Only thing left after those is the valve cover gaskets which can be done when you do the valve adjustment, and the rear main. These motors can usually go an obscenely long time on the cam seals before they leak.

Correct. The leak slowed down but considering the vehicle is only in Phoenix I thought it couldn't hurt to try 10W-40.
Most of the time HM oil will not fix leaks.When they do, it will take more than one oil change to do and will at best, soften an oil seal to stop seepage, for a while. It won't do a thing for leaky gaskets. I would go with the heavier weight too considering your area.

A non-VCM J-Series won't care what you're running in it within reason.

Just plan on doing all the oil pump area seals when timing belt time comes and you won't add a ton of cost to the bill, and you'll get about 90% of the leaks these motors usually develop. Only thing left after those is the valve cover gaskets which can be done when you do the valve adjustment, and the rear main. These motors can usually go an obscenely long time on the cam seals before they leak.
As long as you change the oil frequently, with good quality oil, these seals last a very long time. I have 250k on my Honda Accord, I'm starting to get a weapage behind the crank pulley. Doesn't drip on the ground, just a wet spot with dirt that collects on it.

Try Delvac 1300 or 15W-40 Delo XSP Synthetic 15w-40. I have been running SN rated HDEO's in my cars for about 2 years now and they run fine here in Alabama. Yall get hotter that we do. No issues with variable valve timing or any of the other "myths" of ruining your engines with HDEO.

Try All different brand high mileage oil you get 2 oci see which oil leak less . I used own Honda Pilot 2007 used mobil 1 high mileage or pennzoil high mileage and pennzoil leak lowest .

I would instead run a 10W30 in AZ like QuakerState

10W40 wiill typically dull throttle response and hurt gas mileage around town.

But give it, a try it only cost a jug of oil if its a mistake

Try Delvac 1300 or 15W-40 Delo XSP Synthetic 15w-40. I have been running SN rated HDEO's in my cars for about 2 years now and they run fine here in Alabama. Yall get hotter that we do. No issues with variable valve timing or any of the other "myths" of ruining your engines with HDEO.

Back