2007 MGM 4.6L 2v V8 - Kendall GT1 Blend 5W20 - 4,390 miles

Happy to report that my aluminum has come back around. I'm not sure if I did something wrong last time, but aluminum jumped up to 5 last run, now back down to 2. Everything seems to be ok. This particular oil run has quite a few 100 MPH highway cruises on it, but ssshhhh, don't tell anyone. 😉

Oil Report 8 12 23.png

Typically boring 4.6L UOA, and that's a good thing
The Al from the last report was likely just a particle streak. This is why singular UOAs are not a reason to panic, or gloat.
The data you're seeing falls in line with the macro data trends typical of these engines in this application.

You'll probably only get another 400k miles out of it before it fails ...;)

Typically boring 4.6L UOA, and that's a good thing
The Al from the last report was likely just a particle streak. This is why singular UOAs are not a reason to panic, or gloat.
The data you're seeing falls in line with the macro data trends typical of these engines in this application.

You'll probably only get another 400k miles out of it before it fails ...;)
I love these cars so much, I bought a second one. 2006 Town Car that currently sits at 44k miles. Between these two cars, they'd probably last me the from now on. Wish Ford still made them.

They do like to run like the wind, don’t they? 2.73-1 rear end gears help! Not sure what my ‘03 MGM’s top end is, but it seems to have no trouble hitting 105…
Oh yeah, both my Grand Marquis (2.73 open) and my Town Car (3.27 open) will cruise on the speed limiter at 111, in overdrive. I have no doubt without the speed limiter, they will both turn the speedometer needles upside down, lol.

The ol' Panther bodies. The UOA looks great. Splitting hairs but between the two you pictured I prefer the Mercury over the Lincoln for looks only. While a taken care of version of these cars are excellent value I occasionally see an old, out of service, police car belching out some black smoke from the tailpipes so I'm sure they get no where near as long of lifespan but I still do see them which speaks for itself. Glad to see there's still plenty out there to be bought with low mileage on them.

The ol' Panther bodies. The UOA looks great. Splitting hairs but between the two you pictured I prefer the Mercury over the Lincoln for looks only. While a taken care of version of these cars are excellent value I occasionally see an old, out of service, police car belching out some black smoke from the tailpipes so I'm sure they get no where near as long of lifespan but I still do see them which speaks for itself. Glad to see there's still plenty out there to be bought with low mileage on them.
A lot of CVPIs spent way too much time idling & not getting oil changes soon enough, and quite a few MGMs & Town Cars were garage queens. I don’t think mine had ever seen salt before I bought it.

If I could find a Town Car that nice, even over 100K miles, I would sell the MGM in a second. Bigger back seat makes it a better peopl hauler.
Yeah. However, the one thing that stops me is, I wanted a panther that I wouldn’t put a whole bunch of miles on like I have my grand marquis. Plus, the gm gets about 2.5 MPG better, I assume due to the gearing difference. Town Car averages almost 21 and gm gets about 23.5 average.

I saw one of these advertised locally as a "Mercury Grandma Keith", I can't get that name out of my head.

When I was still at the Sheriff's Office we had a bunch of CVPIs. Driven hard, cold starts, idle for hours. The oil change interval was 3000 miles on Formula Shell 5W-20. The department would run them out to 125k to 140k miles and never lost an engine.

I saw one of these advertised locally as a "Mercury Grandma Keith", I can't get that name out of my head.

When I was still at the Sheriff's Office we had a bunch of CVPIs. Driven hard, cold starts, idle for hours. The oil change interval was 3000 miles on Formula Shell 5W-20. The department would run them out to 125k to 140k miles and never lost an engine.

But how many transmissions? I feel like that's the weak point on these.

Not really. The 4R70W/4R75W was a fairly robust tranny. The 8.8 rear and the 4.6L 2v are nearly granite-like in their durability. The drivetrain/chassis of the EN/FN platform was about as bulletproof as you could ask for.

It's quite common for taxi companies to buy these cars at PD auctions and run them out to 400k, 500k miles with routine maintenance.

I tore up one. We had a woman in a domestic who called 911 but didn't know exactly where she was. I ran warp 9 to her general location which was as far away as she could get from where I was. On the way back I no longer had top gear. The third rebuilt trans finally worked correctly.

The biggest annoyance to CVPIs was weak door checks. If you needed to bail out quick you could count on the door bouncing back and closing on your leg.

I tore up one. We had a woman in a domestic who called 911 but didn't know exactly where she was. I ran warp 9 to her general location which was as far away as she could get from where I was. On the way back I no longer had top gear. The third rebuilt trans finally worked correctly.

The biggest annoyance to CVPIs was weak door checks. If you needed to bail out quick you could count on the door bouncing back and closing on your leg.
Man, that annoys the crap out of me in my 2007 MGM, especially if I'm on any kind of an unlevel surface with the lean towards the passenger side. Door always comes back and wallops me, lol.

Back