2007 chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
my buddy just recently bought his dads 2007 (classic body style) 1500 chevy ext cab with the 4.3 vortec. it has 180k miles and its in good shape and runs great. it started making a squealing noise on startup and when revved to 3000 rpm. it has a brand new belt, belt tensioner and idler pulley on it, it was squealing before this was all installed. It sounds like it would be coming from the water pump pulley, i pulled the belt off and spun them all by hand, even the alternator pulley, and none of them made the slightest noise. Any ideas guys? He wants to try and get 400k out of this truck.

Most Belt squeals I run across on Chevy/GMC trucks (After the Belt, Idler, ETC. has been changed) Is the Power Steering Pulley is at the wrong Depth, This more likely to happen after a PS pump replacement.

If the PS reservoir is "painted Black". It is most likely a rebuilt pump, GM started "plating" the reservoirs in '05.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
About every GM truck I see has a belt squeal.Its like a trademark.

You are so full of .....

Does it go away when warm?

Hand spinning the pump might not be enough to make it squeal.

Last edited:

That's still less of a problem than ones that launch spark plugs.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

That's still less of a problem than ones that launch spark plugs.

LOL! Yup, gotta agree with you there!

Only a GM hater could come up with that? GM has a TSB on the PS Pulley Depth causing belt squeal, This is usually NOT GM's fault, But a service error by not measuring the Pulley depth & end-play before removal.

gm and ford both make great engines but ford takes more abuse in my eyes in nj ford is on all the road work and construction companies in police cars and everywhere else including tow trucks. but i think they are pretty equal.the ford 4.6 is probably the longest lasting engine though. We see em all at my engine shop

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back