2007 Camry Hybrid PSD (transmission) fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am approaching 100K miles on my Camry Hybrid 2007. I am thinking of doing Power Split Device fluid change on it.
No reason other than the car is just rock solid and well built
(- compared to a VW Passat 2.0 FSI EU version... it is like HEAVEN and [censored].)

So, from what I know it takes about 3.8L (4 US quarts) of Toyota ATF WS fluid.
This is a US version Toyota Camry Hybrid(it had not been sold in EU) that I currently use in EU.
I see Toyota has ATF WS fluid in Europe as well. I hope this is the same as the ATF WS (World Standard I can buy in EU).
I am hoping it is suitable for Power Split Devices as well, not only standard hydro kinetic transmissions.
I believe there is some high voltage that can come into play in PSDs in Hybrids.
So the quetsion I have,

0. Is the Toyota ATF WORLD STANDARD in EU same as in US?
1. what alternative replacement would you recommend from other brands
that replaces Toyota ATF WS but SPECIFICALLY for Toyota HYBRIDs? I see ATF WS replacements in EU but
I am a bit weary if those replacements will specifically not hurt the HYBRID PSD due to high voltages.
Car drives LIKE NEW. I do not want to mess it just to save few bucks.
2. What can one easily buy in EU you would recommend? (not to lug Toyota ATF WS from US - if I had to lug in from US I would just lug the standard Toyota ATF WS.)
3. I am hearing Toyota ATF WS is not synthetic...I was thinking maybe going synthetic in PSD would be beneficial?
4. Is there any need to change any differential fluids at this mileage? (I am clueless here)

as an owner of a BMW X5 and a number of other VW/Audi/Porsche cars...I can only state the 2007 Camry Hybrid is
THE BEST MADE CAR I HAVE EVER HAD IN MY ENTIRE LIFETIME. The reliability of that car is unparalelled.
This car is INSANELY SOLID, WELL MADE and DURABLE. SO I want to take good care of it but I fear
overdoing something...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tadeusztomaszew
I am approaching 100K miles on my Camry Hybrid 2007. I am thinking of doing Power Split Device fluid change on it.
No reason other than the car is just rock solid and well built
(- compared to a VW Passat 2.0 FSI EU version... it is like HEAVEN and [censored].)
So, from what I know it takes about 3.8L (4 US quarts) of Toyota ATF WS fluid.
This is a US version Toyota Camry Hybrid(it had not been sold in EU) that I currently use in EU.
I see Toyota has ATF WS fluid in Europe as well. I hope this is the same as the ATF WS (World Standard I can buy in EU).
I am hoping it is suitable for Power Split Devices as well, not only standard hydro kinetic transmissions.
I believe there is some high voltage that can come into play in PSDs in Hybrids.
So the quetsion I have,
0. Is the Toyota ATF WORLD STANDARD in EU same as in US?
1. what alternative replacement would you recommend from other brands
that replaces Toyota ATF WS but SPECIFICALLY for Toyota HYBRIDs? I see ATF WS replacements in EU but
I am a bit weary if those replacements will specifically not hurt the HYBRID PSD due to high voltages.
Car drives LIKE NEW. I do not want to mess it just to save few bucks.
2. What can one easily buy in EU you would recommend? (not to lug Toyota ATF WS from US - if I had to lug in from US I would just lug the standard Toyota ATF WS.)
3. I am hearing Toyota ATF WS is not synthetic...I was thinking maybe going synthetic in PSD would be beneficial?
4. Is there any need to change any differential fluids at this mileage? (I am clueless here)
as an owner of a BMW X5 and a number of other VW/Audi/Porsche cars...I can only state the 2007 Camry Hybrid is
THE BEST MADE CAR I HAVE EVER HAD IN MY ENTIRE LIFETIME. The reliability of that car is unparalelled.
This car is INSANELY SOLID, WELL MADE and DURABLE. SO I want to take good care of it but I fear
overdoing something...

Tadeus I don't know for sure, but the fact that the ATF is designated as WS (world standard) leads me to believe that it's the same worldwide, so I'd not worry.

I too have heard that it's not synthetic, but if you do a full exchange every 50K Km or so again nothing to worry.

Yes, WS is the same in EU as in the US (and also Japan)
smile.gif

The PSD is basically a gear box; Not sure WS really was formulated for maximum protection in that environment; more like a fluid of convenience.

There is only a "full exchange" as it services like a MT, drain and fill gets all the fluid out.

I am using D4 in mine, perhaps not a gear fluid (as RL claim), but likely more robust than WS.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by simple_gifts
The PSD is basically a gear box; Not sure WS really was formulated for maximum protection in that environment; more like a fluid of convenience.

There is only a "full exchange" as it services like a MT, drain and fill gets all the fluid out.

I am using D4 in mine, perhaps not a gear fluid (as RL claim), but likely more robust than WS.

Let me ask you some questions... You are using D4 (Dexron IV ???? is that what you mean?)
You mean you have Dexron IV in your PSD in Prius? What is RL?

Is Dexron IV more robust than ATF WS for gear environment? Apologies is any of those questions are projecting my minimal knowledge in the area of lubricants/fluids.
Thank you to everyone for your great posts.

I was also thinking, maybe the ATF WS was formulated with different electric current charateristcs (does conduct electric current or probably on purpose NOT?)
so if any issues with insulation appeared its lack of conductivity(guessing on this) will not cause electric current flow. With other non toyota made brands ATS WS compliant lubricants replacements
being fine for regular non EV transmissions/meeting lubrication specs as same this might not matter...but for EV maybe using ATF WS from some other brand maybe could be an issue.
for an EV, not so for a say non hybrid RAV4 that also calls for ATF WS. The real issue might appear if say some electric leak happens in PSD and you have lubrication wise equivalent ATF WS yet
behaving differently with respect to electric conductivty
just my musings... all standards I see talk on lubrication...so sure...lots of Toyota ATF WS equivalents from many brands for Toyotas. But maybe it is not only lubrication that matters here
so meeting lubrication specs to claim full ATF WS for a hybrid equivalency is not enough

Last edited:
I JUST encountered VALVOLINE MAX ATF WS VALVOLINE ATF 1L JWS-3309 AISIN WARNER JWS-3324 (=toyota atf ws)

that MUST NOT BE USED FOR HYBRID VEHICLES

'Toyota / Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV, WS (except hybrid vehicles)...'

SO it seems ATF WS designation ALONE is NOT SUFFICIENT for HYBRID VEHICLE PSD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
D4 is an ATF/Gear lube produced by Redline Oil (RL); that is what I use in my prius gen2

https://www.redlineoil.com/d4-atf

They have a lighter fluid called D6 that I believe is their recommendation for your car.

SO it seems ATF WS designation ALONE is NOT SUFFICIENT for HYBRID VEHICLE PSD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

? You must be interpreting something incorrectly since Toyota has specified WS in their hybrids; Are you sure they didn't say not to use in a CVT?

CVTs need a different fluid (except the PSD in Toyota vehicles) which uses regular Toyota WS or equivalent.

D4 is an ATF/Gear lube produced by Redline Oil (RL); that is what I use in my prius gen2

https://www.redlineoil.com/d4-atf

They have a lighter fluid called D6 that I believe is their recommendation for your car.

? You must be interpreting something incorrectly since Toyota has specified WS in their hybrids; Are you sure they didn't say not to use in a CVT?

CVTs need a different fluid (except the PSD in Toyota vehicles) which uses regular Toyota WS or equivalent.

I see toyota recommends Toyota ATF WS for all transmissions and PS(eCVT)D but for regular CVTs for which they yet a different one I think/
I saw VALVOLINE MAX ATF WS VALVOLINE ATF 1L JWS-3309 AISIN WARNER JWS-3324 ( so this is lubrication spec wise toyota atf ws)
ad where it specifically states

'Toyota / Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV, WS (except hybrid vehicles)...'....

I am confused a bit at this point that this is a Toyota ATF WS quaivalent from MaxLine and this exclusion of use
frown.gif

as for D4 please see below ...
frown.gif

redline.png

Last edited:
A few guys on PriusChat said Red Line D4 had higher Cu numbers after a UOA. D4 is an ester-based fluid, while MaxLife is a Group III based fluid.

Toyota hybrid drive units do have an oil pump and lube circuit, I assume it's to circulate ATF to lube the bearings and to drip oil to cool the motors. Unless there is definite proof MaxLife won't harm the motor winding coatings, I'd stick to WS.

Just use the WS fluid

I indicated Redline makes a thinner fluid for your car that is called D6; but based on the amount of worrying you are doing, just stick with WS

Didn't this Camry Hybrid use a CVT?

It is what Toyota calls and eCVT; it has "0" in common, other than the CV part with standard CVTs found in Subaru, Carollas etc. It is an integral part of the drivetrain and engine combination.

There are 100s of videos on youtube detailing its operation.

Just use the WS fluid
It is what Toyota calls and eCVT; it has "0" in common, other than the CV part with standard CVTs found in Subaru, Carollas etc. It is an integral part of the drivetrain and engine combination.

correct. the eCVT has little to do with CVT. CVT are specifically not even close to the eCVT reliability. Anyone with Nissan CVT can attest to that

I had the 2008 hybrid camry with 120000 miles when my wife totaled it. We only had the waterpump done at 105000 miles. Other than that, add gas and change oil.

Originally Posted by meadows
I had the 2008 hybrid camry with 120000 miles when my wife totaled it. We only had the waterpump done at 105000 miles. Other than that, add gas and change oil.

My 2007 camry hybrid has about 100K miles. BEST CAR EVER I HAD IN MY LIFE. I also have same year BMW X5 2007...this is the mots UNRELIABLE JUNK I ever had.
Same with VW Passat and Audi we have in the family. I will never ever buy a German car in my LIFE. I am European and Californian.
California life taught me that German cars are nothing more but OK for leases. Once the lease is up get rid of it immediately as their reliability is like those of Yugo, also a European car

As for waterpunp in TCH - I checked mine - no fluid leak, replacng it on your own as well would be super simple. There are videos on YT.
This car is super simple. SUPER RELIABLE. and once you own Camry, all next year camry's are natural evolution of former ones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back