2007.5 Dodge Ram AAM 9.25" Front Axle

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the front axle of my latest Ram. Not sure if it is the FF or not, but there sure was enough metal slurry sitting in the bottom of it.

Actually looks pretty good, other than the oil itself. The flecks you see are dirt trapped between the outer lip of the cover and housing that showered down upon removal of the cover. I cleaned the whole things out before putting the cover back on.

No encroachment of water, thankfully.

This will be the last time I use a gasket with one of these axles on the cover. I saw here something I have seen on other AAM axles that have been around for a while: Corrosion forming on the surface outside of the outer ring of the gasket seal and working its way inward. My Preferred method from now on will be to use the Gear Oil RTV (a dead ringer for Hondabond, which I like) for the cover, with the bead thicker toward the exterior, so it squishes out a little and fills the lip area of the cover, preventing wet dirt from staying in there and aggravating the forming of corrosion. I'll likely use a Mag-Hytec cover at the same time.

Fresh fill of Amsoil Severe Gear 75/90 went in.

Did you buy the truck new? People NEVER change the oil in the differential - so there is a very good chance that it is the original.

No. Came to me through a guy who thought the engine was toast because he didn't change the air filter, and and thought the brakes were toast because he had the hydroboost replaced and reassembled with a part missing.

Diff held up well, so I'm not complaining. Rear is going to have to wait because it has a leaking pinion seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back