2006 Jeep 4.0 I6...don't see any good syn recs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks. I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 I6 that's due for an oil change. I drained and flushed her with 1 quart of Havoline 10w30 at 562 miles; NAPA gold and 6 more quarts followed. I'm now at 3517 miles and was thinking about switching to a full synthetic. I know the Havoline has produced some really good UOAs -- and that I'm probably gonna see 200k+ on any oil with 3k OCI's -- but I'd like to give synthetics a try.

The M1 UOAs seem a bit iffy with the Fe problems and such. Most of the other syn. UOAs seem to involve 40 wt or something other than 10w30. I wouldn't mind using 40wt except for this nagging feeling that DCX is pretty anal about engine oil and their warranty.

So any recs on a 10w30 syn?

-Cost not really an issue.
-Won't be offroading much, if at all, until Fall of '08.
-Mostly short trips. 6mi to work, 2mi to school, 10mi to the gym.
-NoVA location...I'd say 90's in the summer and 20's (rare 10's) in the winter.

If it were mine, I'd be using Rotella synthetic 5w-40 year round.

Or Havoline 10w-30 winter, and Delo 400 15w-40 summer - but that's regular oil.

But FWIW - Delo 400 is one of the best dino oils available, IMHO. I use it in my diesel year-round - just wish I could use it in my two SOHC daily drivers.

Thanks, there's definitely good stuff out there. But what's the word on Chrysler and their warranty for anything other than 10w30?

If I lived in the States I'd use Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 if I was looking for a 30W oil.Amzoil is good also but pricey.Rotella would be a good choice and Delvac 1 worked nice in my 4.0's.Ever consider Schaeffers oil?

Does the engine require syn.oil? What does flushing with 1 quart of Havoline accomplish? What about the the drive train oil? Any plans? There is no advantage using syn oil in the engine except for 10,000 mile oil change intervals. In the trans and differential is where the syn would be the way to go.

Thanks Greaser, I'll have to check out that PP. Haven't read a thing on it yet. What's the better fit (for me) of the 2 Amsoil; XLT or ATM?

No, the engine doesn't require syn. Like I said, it'll hit 200k+ on any dino with 3k OCIs. It's just that I've been using dino ever since my first oil change 8 years ago. Nothing wrong with it but I wanna try something new. And sad to say, 10k miles does wonders for a guy who works 50hrs/week and takes 27 semester hours. And yes, I've been thinking of the other fluids too. I promised myself I'd learn how to do my own wrenching with the Jeep. It's just been oil changes pre-Jeep.

Oh yeah, about the flushing. It's just a weird thing I do on the first oil change. Dunno why. Did it on the RSX too. It serves no purpose other than to give me time to space out. Also did it to my mom's car come to think of it.

With those short trips I'd use GC or the thinner Amsoil 0w-30, which is currently in my 4.0 due to my 1.5 mile commute each way to work. My oil pressure is understandably down from RTS, but it doesn't seem as sluggish when cold.

The HDD 5w-30 would probably also be a good choice, I might give that a try next winter.

I believe that RTS or any 5w-40 for that matter is thicker than necessary for a short trip driving regimen with the 4.0. On the other hand my 4.0 loved 5w-40's when I drove 52 miles each way to work. If I get off my rear and send in my sample of RTS with my short commute I can perhaps do more than opine.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...true#Post219743

Here's an old one on one of our Jeeps.

Since then went to REDLINE 10W-30 with BALDWIN B2-HPG or DONALDSON P169071(using LC-20/FP-60). After ARX clean-up per directions, and first REDLINE run, oil stays nice and clean even with 8-10,000 mile changes.

Both JEEPS run better at 80 or 100,000 miles than they did at 30,000. Dead-stock otherwise.

Service winds up being about two RL changes, and then an ARX run at 20-25m miles.

I am in EXACTLY the same place you are.

My friend just bought a brand new, 06 Jeep Wrangler with the I-6. When he got HOME, he had 27 miles on it.

We JUST changed the factory fill last night, with 2,000 miles on it. I did some research on this site, and we decided to go with German Castrol 0W-30.

BUT, who the !@#$% puts those oil filters on at the factory?!?! I think either a 5,000 gorilla or perhaps some type of dinosaur. Good GOSH!!! I had to drive a knife through the filter, and use it as a pry-bar, for 2 complete revolutions, until I could use my hand.

WOW, what was the point of that?

It is my personal opinion that the Amsoil line would be a better oil, and personal tests on this site have proven the amsoil oil filter is about the best you can get in terms of both filtration and flow. So if you want the BEST, I would go with that.

But, if you want something that is REALLY, REALLY good, but you can still buy it over the counter... I would go with GC 0W-30, that's what we did.

have a good one.

Quote:

1.5 mile commute?
Man, put on your coat and hoof it!
I know, the weather sucks, etc.

I would gladly walk when the weather is nice, except it seems the average driver around here has a hard time keeping their vehicle in their lane. This is an extremely busy two lane road, not exactly a safe place for a walk. In this context I'm too cynical to put my pedestrian safety in the hands of the average motorist, though other people do it.

I have a 06 sport with 6k miles broke it in on dino,and now run 5/30 walmart supertech syn.in winter 10/30 in summer.5k oil changes from now on.

In both of my Jeeps (a 1996 and a 2000) they almost always showed high iron numbers-although within acceptable ranges for that engine. The only exception to that was when I ran Castrol HM dino in the 1996 Cherokee-the iron was extremely low. In my Cherokee I have switched to Castrol HM 10W40. The last UOA I did the TBN was still good after some 4K miles as well.

I've used both Amsoil and M1 in the past and done UOA's on each and never really had a problem with either.

Since mine were 2000 and 1996 models yours may be slightly different. I still own the 1996 Cherokee (nearly 170K) but have since sold the 2000 Wrangler and purchased a much higher fuel mileage Subaru (35+ MPG on the highway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back