I got this at Hyundai Performance.com

Sonata GL 4-cyl, 5-speed manual $17,895
Sonata GL 4-cyl, 4-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $18,795
Sonata GLS 4-cyl, 4-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $19,395
Sonata GLS 3.3-liter V6, 5-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $20,895
Sonata LX 3.3-liter V6, 5-speed SHIFTRONIC A/T $22,895

The destination charge is $600.

Engine
Oil changes are going to be a problem. Using an aftermarket filter or the wrong viscosity oil will make the engine do odd stuff. The filter on the Theta is a regular looking one that mounts like the GM does. However, the OE one has a certain thing in it that is designed to work well with these engines. The Lambda filter is on TOP of the engine and is not a regular filter. It is an element. This, to me is similar to the early 50's oil filters, except those can use *** wipe (toilet paper rolls) instead. The CVVT unit is very particular with the oiling, which is why the specific weight must be used. There is no timing belt. 2 chains are used, 1 for the oil pump and the other for the cams on the I4 and 3 chains for the V6. Timing those is real easy. Not only the sprockets have marks, but the chains also have marks. On the V6, the intake manifold is plastic. The I4 manifold takes well to porting. The valve guides and cams are a different design. The oil pump is a 2 stage unit. The emissions control systems are also finicky. The o2 sensors are accepting a narrow range in heat and fuel/air mixture. If the exhaust is too cold, it will throw a code. The fuel injectors are a totally different design where a small disk turns to make the spray of fuel very fine. Getting these dirty is hard, but they hate caustic chemicals. Additives are banned on these units. The V6 already has equal length headers.

Transmissions:

The trans used are not an overdrive unit. they are a direct drive (less wear and heat and the output shaft spins the same speed as the input shaft at top gear) and the manual has 3 shafts, where it can be converted from a 5 speed to a 6 and 7 speed tranny easily. The shiftronic 4 and 5 speeds are available. They also have a tall gearing; at 60-70 mph, the rpms are about 15-1700 with the torque converter locked up.
ABS unit

The TCS/SCS uses a sensor under the car, at the steering wheel and each wheel to figure out what it should do. If the one under the car conflicts with the rest, it will also throw a code. Typically, this means different tires are used that are not designed similarly as the Michelin's. Performance tires will do this as well as bigger rims. In a crash, if the sensor under the car is not recalibrated (by the scan tool), it will throw a code. (what this means for me, I either must have the scan tool to recalibrate the dang thing or take it to the dealer to do this). ABS is standard equipment.

Other stuff

On the interior, leather is used as well as butt warmers. 6 air bags and a similar system that is used on the 04-05 Elantras. I sat in the car in the front seat on 2 consecutive trips and since I weigh less than 110 pounds, the airbag did its trick by lighting up the airbag and turning down the passenger side unit. 8 speakers are available, In-dash 6 cd cd changer or DVD-GPS system. Since the radio is also controlled (monitored) by the BCM, all presets are saved in the ECU and can be saved by the scan tool and reflashed into a new deck if necessary. Speakers are mounted with rivets because the unit they are attached to (which holds the internals of the doors and is easily removed for access to the window regulator) is very thin. Fatmat and dynamat CANNOT be put on this. It must be put on the outer skin of the door from the inside by removing the window and the whole assembly. Removing the window is easy. There are 2 pinch clamps on the regulator that can be loosened to remove the window.

Electronics

On the electrical end of things, instead of the ground switches used now, the positive side gets the controls. The BCM controls the fuse box, alarm (which has an intrusion feature), engine, tranny, radio, ABS/TCS/SCS, radio, and other electrical devises. Any splices might make the engine not start or lack power (and make everything go into a fault mode). The gas pedal is electrical instead of cable operated, and has its own sensor. This BCM is like a black box on airplanes. It is theoretically possible that a cop or insurance company can use the scan tool to determine how the car was driven before an accident. There are going to be 8 options for the dealer to enable for customers; 1 is a audible warning when the alarm is armed. The key also will be able to disarm the alarm by unlocking the drivers door twice (only the drivers door has the key lock); and there is a red LED blinking on the dash. When the ignition is turned on, the BCM tests everything to see if things are operational.

I hope the EPA fuel economy improves, because its not a bragging point for hyundai. A big buick lesabre with a 3800 V6 and 205hp is rated 20 city, 29 highway.
patriot.gif
A 05' hyundai tiburon, 2.7L V6, 172hp with an automatic is rated 19 city, 26 highway, and is 1/2 the size.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

The trans used are not an overdrive unit. they are a direct drive (less wear and heat and the output shaft spins the same speed as the input shaft at top gear)

Finally, some dang common sense. How many five speed manuals (or automatics, I don't keep track since I don't care) have double overdrive (fourth and fifth) then ~4.11 gears to get the power back?

quote:

Originally posted by drive it forever:
A 05' hyundai tiburon, 2.7L V6, 172hp with an automatic is rated 19 city, 26 highway, and is 1/2 the size.
rolleyes.gif

That's funny..a '95 Honda Accord, 2.7L V6, 170hp with an automatic is rated 19 city, 25 highway.

Where did Hyundai get this 2.7L V6 anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back