2006 Ford Fusion 3.0L - cold start issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patient is a 2006 Ford Fusion 3.0L

I am working on it for someone from my church who is low on funds with no technical knowledge.

SImply stated when it is cold out, it will crank but not start...if I hold the throttle about half way down it will sputter to life, then idle perfectly. The battery is strong and healthy.
Once started, it runs perfectly...good gas mileage, etc.

I replaced the MAF, as when I unplugged it it seemed to start fine. This did not solve the problem.
There are no codes stored or pending.
When I key-on with cold engine, the intake air temp and the coolant temperature are within a degree or two (I figured it was a coolant sensor).

I find this is a VERY common problem, and the resolutions online seem to be either a MAF, or requires a trip to the dealer to get updated ECM software. I cannot find any TSB's to support the claims I see online for it needing a software update.

So...questions:
Is anybody familiar with the claimed TSB for cold-start issue? Success with it?
Any other ideas on what to check?

Called the local Ford dealer, and he claimed to not be able to find any TSB's related to PCM software updates...he said the only thing he could find says it is most likely fuel related (low pressure, or bad gas).

Found this...

FORD: 2006-2007 Fusion
LINCOLN: 2006 Zephyr
MERCURY: 2006-2007 Milan

This article supersedes TSB 06-21-11 to update the TSB Action step.

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2007 Fusion, Milan and 2006 Zephyr vehicles built before 9/4/2006 equipped with a 3.0L engine and Aisin F21 automatic transmission may exhibit one or more of the driveability and/or transmission symptoms listed below.

Engine Driveability

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0606
Powertrain lacks response
High idles after starting engine and lasting about 2 minutes
Intermittent hard to start
Transmission

Transmission shifts too early / too late / too often
Gear changes take too long to complete
Shifts rough or jerky from park
Slow downshifts
Takes too long to engage and/or hesitates while shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse

ACTION:
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back