2006 Corvette, unknown oil mileage or type, first change

Purchased the Vette this March, put ~1500-2000 miles on it before first oil change (112380mi at time of change). Figured I'd send the stuff in to see if there were any glaring issues, unfortunately no data on what kind of oil it is or how long it was in there. Hardly know my way around this oil stuff so I don't really know what all the numbers mean lol. Spends 95% of its time just idling along the highway at 55mph. Handful of short 10 minute trips from a cold start so not enough time to heat up but otherwise all 30 minutes or more at highway speeds. Not a huge amount of spirited driving, maybe a dozen full throttle pulls to 80-90 mph. Engine is entirely stock, previous owner put on headers and intake that I don't think would affect the oil much.

Next change will probably be a little more interesting knowing more about everything, will probably do it around 4-5k. Any info, suggestions, conclusions, etc are welcome. I spent like 2 months deliberating my choice of oil and still am not 100% sure so if anyone has any better oil suggestions I'm all ears! (I suspect it really doesn't matter that much but still, lol)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-08 172747.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-06-08 172747.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 130
Looks like M1 5W30 add pack wise. I winder why they said it was a diesel engine?
Probably a fair guess in any case, I'd bet if you took it to a dealer they'd use M1. Not the slightest clue why they put diesel. I went in and changed it manually... and then ran into another issue on sump capacity; it takes 5.5 quarts but they only record integer amounts lol

Would it make any sense to send in some PUP for a VOA? I'm sure someone's already done it but idk

Probably a fair guess in any case, I'd bet if you took it to a dealer they'd use M1. Not the slightest clue why they put diesel. I went in and changed it manually... and then ran into another issue on sump capacity; it takes 5.5 quarts but they only record integer amounts lol

Would it make any sense to send in some PUP for a VOA? I'm sure someone's already done it but idk
Oh yeah there are several PUP analyses here on this site.

Any euro or diesel rated oil is perfect for these engines. I'd buy a good amount of this if i were you. Really good but real cheap for now but it probably wont stay at that low price for long. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-State-Euro-Full-Synthetic-5W-40-Motor-Oil-5-Quart/737859365
I know GM retroactively changed the spec for LS/LT engines from 5w30 to 10w40 but I'm not particularly sold on it since it seems a lot of engine builders say a 30wt oil is best. There was a euro formula of Pennzoil that I considered but I think it was only API SN instead of SP. Never heard of Quaker State but I'll consider em!

Would it be worth looking at "High Mileage" oils?

I know GM retroactively changed the spec for LS/LT engines from 5w30 to 10w40 but I'm not particularly sold on it since it seems a lot of engine builders say a 30wt oil is best. There was a euro formula of Pennzoil that I considered but I think it was only API SN instead of SP. Never heard of Quaker State but I'll consider em!

Would it be worth looking at "High Mileage" oils?
I don't use HM oils and I'm fine at 322k and 209k on both my old gm trucks using nothing but 40 grade euro or diesel and they love it. And our engines were basically designed for sm and sn so there's nothing wrong with it and there is Pennzoil platinum euro l which i also use but euro 30's are basically as thick as can possibly be which is 12.5 kv100 and euro 40 grades are almost always 13-14 kv100. Diesel 40 grades are 14-15kv100. Now 10w-40's on the other hand are known to be the thickest at 15-16 kv100 while almost never carrying approvals and formulation requirements better than a euro or diesel grade. But the problem with api sp is that they're known for being "bad" because they limit phosphorous an anti wear additive to just 800ppm which isn't optimal unless the overall formulation is really good so that's why i don't really believe they're "bad" And who hasn't heard of Quaker state Lol

Last edited:
On a side note, you might want to take a look at your starter if you can. Headers are known to cause the starter solenoid to fail because of the extra heat created from the header. The bolt where the positive cable attaches gets hot enough to eventually burn the plastic around it, making it very brittle. There are heat shields available for this.

Reactions: a5m
On a side note, you might want to take a look at your starter if you can. Headers are known to cause the starter solenoid to fail because of the extra heat created from the header. The bolt where the positive cable attaches gets hot enough to eventually burn the plastic around it, making it very brittle. There are heat shields available for this.
Yep already heard about starter issues. Haven't had any issues yet and it looks to still be in good shape for now. Thanks though!

I run any good full synthetic in my 05 Corvette but use 10w30. It also takes 6 quarts instead of 5.5 with a filter. Those LS engines are very good and you shouldn't have any consumption issues. If your car already has headers and an intake I would presume it has an aftermarket louder exhaust too? Mine is 100% stock. Congrats on the purchase of your Corvette, I love driving mine.

Attachments

• LNd0IH0ASBmpJcbfQWIxIA.jpg
    LNd0IH0ASBmpJcbfQWIxIA.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: a5m
I run any good full synthetic in my 05 Corvette but use 10w30. It also takes 6 quarts instead of 5.5 with a filter. Those LS engines are very good and you shouldn't have any consumption issues. If your car already has headers and an intake I would presume it has an aftermarket louder exhaust too? Mine is 100% stock. Congrats on the purchase of your Corvette, I love driving mine.
6 quarts is sump capacity for the Z51 cooling system IIRC, mine is base spec all around lol. Full exhaust system, long tube headers going to a flowmaster exhaust so it makes some noise! Would definitely recommend especially on these older Vettes, the original exhaust is a bit disappointing. The NPP option in later years was a huge upgrade on par with many aftermarket systems. ~10% bump in hp with a free-er flowing exhaust, too!

With Titanium at 16ppm this may be Castrol Edge (typically 15-20ppm). Either that, or the previous oil was Castrol Edge Euro (50-60ppm) and we're seeing carry-over.

With Titanium at 16ppm this may be Castrol Edge (typically 15-20ppm). Either that, or the previous oil was Castrol Edge Euro (50-60ppm) and we're seeing carry-over.
Reached out to the previous owner. Castrol indeed, it had 2k on it prior to my purchase of the car. Any reason Castrol is high on titanium and does it matter?

Reached out to the previous owner. Castrol indeed, it had 2k on it prior to my purchase of the car. Any reason Castrol is high on titanium and does it matter?
Castrol claims it is their "fluid Titanium technology". I'm not sure how much of that is just marketing, but here is their tech page:

Late followup but I’ve just done the next oil change at a bit over 4000 miles. Early but oil+filter is cheap and I’m interested in seeing the analysis sooner than later. Still using an AC Delco UPF46R and Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30, not sure if there’s any difference between that and the “High Mileage” flavor. In any case, sample is in the mail so I should have the results sometime next month!

While chatting with another Vette owner he brought up ZDDP and phosphorus content in the oils he uses, since he has an older C4 with flat tappets. I know the LS has roller cams but would it still be worth considering specialty oils or additives for better wear protection? And if I ever go down the modding route for this engine would that change the oil requirements much?

Back