2006 Civic EX - No Crank(Starter Issue)

Ran into an issue where crank was weak, thought it was a battery.

Replaced with a new battery today, tried to jump and now no crank and nothing happens.

Expecting it is a starter, should I get it rebuild or go from a junkyard one?

Thanks for the help.

I usually always go used OEM but any used starter for a 06-11 Civic is getting up there in age. Although I dislike aftermarket (especially since these starters are a PITA to change!).

I may still go used OEM since it should be cheaper. I go to ebay to find used parts.

Our 2015 crv has a known starter issue where the contacts in the solenoid wear out long before they should. We had to replace ours around 65k miles. This vehicle does NOT have auto start/stop - they wore out the old fashioned way. I’m not sure if one can source replacement contacts or fabricate some up, but it’s an item with these. Yours may have something similar. You’ll have to measure power at different points to see what’s going on.

I'm pretty sure the OEM for your 2006 Civic was DENSO. I have had great luck with DENSO remanufactured starters and alternators. I believe the Honda dealership parts departments sell the DENSO remanufactured starters.
Seeing both - mostly Mitsuba for AT, not sure if there is any connection with MT and Denso?

I avoid Chinese parts if possible, but....I had a Saturn that would crank too slowly to start. Battery and cables were fine so I checked starters on Rock Auto, Amazon, Ebay. Thirty bucks for a new Kam Fong or similar sounding name starter. With Ebay's and Paypal's guaranties I figured what could I loose. It did crank better with the new starter but still no start. I cranked the heck out of that poor thing for over a week testing for spark, timing, fuel pressure and thought it was cooked. Gave up on it and let the car sit a few years. When I got back to work on it, I found the problem and the starter still worked fine.

Does the whole car lose power when you turn the key to start? Some circuits like the radio are designed to cut off, but things like the headlights, dome light, and oil warning light on the dashboard should not. If the whole car does lose power check the ground wire especially. Probing across things that should be connected (i.e. battery - to engine block) with a voltmeter can determine where the voltage is being lost. Of course you will need a helper turning the key to start while you test.

Does the whole car lose power when you turn the key to start? Some circuits like the radio are designed to cut off, but things like the headlights, dome light, and oil warning light on the dashboard should not. If the whole car does lose power check the ground wire especially. Probing across things that should be connected (i.e. battery - to engine block) with a voltmeter can determine where the voltage is being lost. Of course you will need a helper turning the key to start while you test.
No, all lights are there and power is not lost while cranking - but during cranking nothing happens, initially it was a very weak crank, now nothing.

Stay away from remanufactured starters, you would have better luck with used compared to reman. Autozone sells the Duralast Gold (New) starter with a lifetime warranty.

Stay away from remanufactured starters, you would have better luck with used compared to reman. Autozone sells the Duralast Gold (New) starter with a lifetime warranty.
Leaning towards a one from the junkyard or might get existing one rebuilt at a local shop. Need to get under the car first for removal, looks quite an adventure. :)

Back