2006 bmw M5.....Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
my boss has a new BMW M5 that i wish i had. He just got it and beats on it all the time. He started it up tonight and it sounded like a diesel engine! sounded like valves were tapping and the fan hitting the shroud. It was weird. He said it is normal and when he reved the engine the sound disapated. I think there is something wrong. Does anyone know if its suppose to sound like that. I know the car has to break in and he beat it from day 1.

Boy it must be hard to be able to afford a very expensive luxury car and beat the **** out of it. People like that **** me off. Meanwhile the other 90 percent of us are stuck going paycheck to paycheck and logging onto BITOG to figure out how to make our beaters last till 300K.

The M engines of late are definitely louder than the NG6 engines, but I don't know about valve clatter and diesel engine sounds. The 3 liter inline 6 diesel BMW engine is as quiet as their gas models. Wish they would bring that engine here soon.

quote:

It is difficult to imagine beating on a M5 on a public road anywhere near NYC

You must not be from NYC
wink.gif
**** that fool 4 treating that car so badly
nono.gif

I remember watching a Top Gear (of 5th Gear, whatever) episode of the E39 M5 a while ago. When the car is started up cold, the "redline" indicator is placed a little bit lower until the car warms up. I wonder if the current M5 does the same, but for the firstr 500 miles or whatever the "break in" is.

I have been researching these cars. I'm considering buying one (not an M5, just the regular v8 545i/550i).

Based on one of the e60 forums, it looks like a fair number of the v8's have issues with piston slap. BMW in munich is calling it piston tilt (direct translation of a rep in germany from one of the members there).

BMW is telling most people that this is perfectly normal.....kind of reminds me of GM and ford.

That and all of the problems with the I-drive, an in-dash computer makes me wonder whether I should be considering one of these.

I don't know if this is the same thing...but my Mother in law has a new 5 cylinder Jetta. During the first 30 seconds or so it makes an awful clatter. Apparently it's a design feature. I believe it is pumping the exhaust back through the intake to heat things up. At least that's what I was told.

Maybe it's a German thing?

The 2006 M5 is a V10 which sounds much different than an 8. Secondly, every car mag review I have read on the thing says it sounds like crap when it cranks up and idles. However, they story changes then you stand on it ...

quote:

Does anyone know if its suppose to sound like that.

Hold on...let me go check.

*runs outside to start car*

Nope. Still don't have an M5, so I wouldn't worry.
grin.gif

Just don't be the one to buy that car from him when he sells it.

quote:

I wonder if the current M5 does the same, but for the firstr 500 miles or whatever the "break in" is.

it has the warm up feature, but it has it all the time, no temporary break in feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back