2006 Acura TSX Charging Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my 2006 TSX(186K miles) has been acting strange, all the lights on the ODO will come and showing abnormal behavior for all lights.

Alternator initially is producing 13-13.XX volts. But after 15-20mins of drive, at idle, it's not producing any voltage, while at or above 2000rpm, it's showing 12-13V.

So far, I have cleaned -ve/ground cable thoroughly on both ends and it's clean and in good condition.

I have looked at these threads: https://acurazine.com/forums/first-...range-electrical-issues-2006-tsx-888796/ and https://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-problems-fixes/55843-blinking-lights-car-shuts-down.html

At this point, should I change alternator or replace -ve/ground with a new one? Battery is little over 1 year old.

Appreciate any advice and help
thumbsup2.gif

Your initial voltage is pretty low. Probably going to have to replace/repair the alt. I just lost the one on my 08 TL, and that was pretty much the same thing. Not really any warning, just jumped in the car after already driving it for the day and it was very sluggish to crank. Multimeter on the posts showed barely above float voltage for the battery. Replacement alternator and all is well again.

If you're starting with a fully charged battery, your voltage when cold after starting should rapidly climb up to somewhere between 14-14.4. If you've checked everything else, then that's probably what you're looking at.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Your initial voltage is pretty low. Probably going to have to replace/repair the alt. I just lost the one on my 08 TL, and that was pretty much the same thing. Not really any warning, just jumped in the car after already driving it for the day and it was very sluggish to crank. Multimeter on the posts showed barely above float voltage for the battery. Replacement alternator and all is well again.

If you're starting with a fully charged battery, your voltage when cold after starting should rapidly climb up to somewhere between 14-14.4. If you've checked everything else, then that's probably what you're looking at.

Thanks, I am leaning towards alternator too. Because some slight burning smell was coming, while I was standing in front of alternator and car was idling, also no idea if it's just psychological, but was hearing some whine from alternator side too.

I am going to check out all fuses and run other tests, to make sure other things are well.

For replacement, should I go towards a junkyard one, get existing one rebuilt or buy a brand new from carquest for ~$120ish?

That's a rebuild kit for it: https://www.aspwholesale.com/alternator-rebuild-kits/denso/ir/if/repair-kit-p11327.html or this one: https://www.maniacelectricmotors.co...hes-bearings-alternator-rebuild-kit.html

Last edited:
Well, there's the million dollar question. I've never had problems out of parts store replacements, but I'm sure there are some crappy ones out there. The one I picked up for my TL has been fine and its going on about a year old now. Oddly, both the 2000 and 2003 are still on their original parts. If the thing is easy to get to and not hard to get out, and you have alternate transportation, I see no problem with a parts store rebuild. If it works out of the box, it should be fine.

Of course, there's always a better way to do things (rebuilds, oem alternators (holy $$$$), etc) so you just have to weigh the options. As long as you're not buying some bottom basement part, you'll likely be ok.

I've purchased used alternators off of LKQ's website in the past. I look for low mileage ones from the southwest (less corrosion). They wind up being slightly cheaper than parts store units, but they're much better quality. Like everything though, YMMV.

We have the same car with 190K miles. I replaced the alternator maybe a year or 2 ago.
I used an O'Reilly; I don't remember if it was a reman or new.
I wish I woulda used a Denso; Rock Auto has them.
Not a bad swap.
If you have a rebuilder in your area; I would get yours rebuilt.
Good luck. These are great cars.

Those alternators aren't terribly hard to rebuild if you have a few relatively basic tools. And buy a kit. Look into it. Might just need brushes which is a trivial fix. Especially at 180k+.

Thanks all, I think it has ELD.

For now, I am leaning towards an AAP one(car quest).

Thank you
smile.gif

Try to see if you can get the correct brushes on ebay or you might be lucky and Honda dealer might have part number handy for the brushes.

Other alternative is to order approximate sized brushes and get them in there. This is how I kept my 35 year old vacuum cleaner running!

They costs cents if you can get them from China but US seller will charge in dollars; still will be worth it,

usually bearing and diodes on OEM Honda/Acura alternator would be fine at least at the 1st brush change time.

If you buy aftermarket alternator, DON'T GIVE THEM YOUR CORE. I will bet that the aftermarket will dies in an year or so. Hopefully by that time, you would have been able to fix your real Denso by replacing the brushes etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vikas
Try to see if you can get the correct brushes on ebay or you might be lucky and Honda dealer might have part number handy for the brushes.

Other alternative is to order approximate sized brushes and get them in there. This is how I kept my 35 year old vacuum cleaner running!

They costs cents if you can get them from China but US seller will charge in dollars; still will be worth it,

usually bearing and diodes on OEM Honda/Acura alternator would be fine at least at the 1st brush change time.

If you buy aftermarket alternator, DON'T GIVE THEM YOUR CORE. I will bet that the aftermarket will dies in an year or so. Hopefully by that time, you would have been able to fix your real Denso by replacing the brushes etc.

That's a great advice and I plan to rebuild my denso on my own pleasure. It needs diodes....

You might read up on the ELD, at least on other Hondas those symptoms are suspect of a bad one and they are substantially cheaper than alternators or Batteries.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
You might read up on the ELD, at least on other Hondas those symptoms are suspect of a bad one and they are substantially cheaper than alternators or Batteries.

Yeah, I took the alternator for testing at two places and it came back as bad.

So far, after replacement voltage and things are looking much better, fingers crossed...

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Wish I woulda kept the original Denso... Sheesh.

Yeah in my case, core is like $12 and I am planning to fix any/all parts which have failed. Bearings seem to be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back