2006 Accord V6 5AT, seeking longevity and information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by dave1251
In this transmission DEXRON III was a recommended fluid from Honda. Thats is great research and testing by Honda. The marketing regurgitation sounds great until you actually understand how a transmission works. It is assumed after reading this forum for nearly a decade a person would learn something.

No, Dexron was only recommended as a temporary 'get you home' replacement with the caveat that it would cause harsh shifting if left in.

No the caveat was it may cause a change in shifting. It was still a recommended fluid.

Its just not. There's no other way you can read this statement direct from the owners manual:

"If the level is below the lower mark, add fluid into the tube to bring it to the upper mark. Always use Honda ATF-Z1 (AutomaticTransmission Fluid). If it is not available, you may use a DEXRON III automatic transmission fluid as a temporary replacement. However, continued use can affect shift quality. Have the transmission flushed and refilled with Honda ATF-Z1 as soon as it is convenient."

If in your book that is a recommendation, then so be it.

Last edited:
.."If the level is below the lower mark, add fluid into the tube to bring it to the upper mark. Always use Honda ATF-Z1 (AutomaticTransmission Fluid). If it is not available, you may use a DEXRON III automatic transmission fluid as a temporary replacement.However, continued use can affect shift quality. Have the transmission flushed and refilled with Honda ATF-Z1 as soon as it is convenient."
Without consulting my OM or googling, that looks correct. That said, my thought now about that OM statement in a nutshell...Oh The Irony! That special Z1 juice was as noted, nothing special. In fact 'my reading' of this subforum, one of the most criticized ATFs anecdotally of any fluid discussed on this board. And at least one member (Jim Allen iirc) had analysis done showing severe shearing of the fluid. After all that it does make me ponder, would Dex III really have been that bad for the trans? And another reason besides significant anecdotal experience, I'm confident MaxLife Full Syn at bare minimum the performance equivalent of Z1, but really a performance improvement.

As for trans filter, it is serviceable but requires removal of air box and a perhaps the throttle body intake hose. It is though completely external to the trans itself. Link diagram shows location. https://www.hondapartscheap.com/aut...-cat/at-oil-level-gauge-atf-pipe-v6-scat

That said, I've read comments similar to one this thread. Those that had done regular trans d&fs, found it to be in good shape. I pm'd another member cchase after he changed his ~83k miles and he said similar, didn't look bad. If interested at some point link has good information, scroll to member "namegoeshere". https://www.driveaccord.net/threads...ll-and-transmission-filter-change.66512/

They do sell kits too. I don't vouch for ebay seller, but does show parts and parts listing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OE...0334360?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

As for pressure switches, my thought, if the trans shifting fine don't mess with them. In other words one of those, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

No the caveat was it may cause a change in shifting. It was still a recommended fluid.

Maybe READ a Honda owners manual before spouting off incorrect information.

Well, after doing two drain fills with maxlife I have a problem. Trans shifts fine but occasionally I get the stench of maxlife in the cabin when the air is not on recirculate. I didn't spill or splash a drop of it on fill-up. I know MaxLife is the worst smelling transmission fluid, Honda must have some kind of vent on this transmission? I found other people with similar complaints from MaxLife.

I ordered up a case of DW-1.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Well, after doing two drain fills with maxlife I have a problem. Trans shifts fine but occasionally I get the stench of maxlife in the cabin when the air is not on recirculate. I didn't spill or splash a drop of it on fill-up. I know MaxLife is the worst smelling transmission fluid, Honda must have some kind of vent on this transmission? I found other people with similar complaints from MaxLife.

How much fluid did you add?
These transmissions will blow fluid out of the vent if overfilled.

If you added more than 3 qt, that may be your problem.

About 3.5 both times. I measured what I drained out. I think spec is 3.2. Could just be enough maybe. It's not making its way down to the bottom. I ran a few hundred miles between each drain and fill. Didn't smell the first time.

Last edited:

You were told numerous times that the Honda fluid was the way to go and you ignored that advice so now this fluid change is going to cost you double.

So shifts fine with ML, but occasional stench in cabin. Never experienced anything similar after a d&f. Reads like the ATF got to/reached an area not intended. As reference only, I follow OM procedure for checking level after d&f.

About 3.5 both times. I measured what I drained out. I think spec is 3.2. Could just be enough maybe. It's not making its way down to the bottom. I ran a few hundred miles between each drain and fill. Didn't smell the first time.

That's too much fluid. Did you check the level within 30 sec of engine shut off with the transmission hot (after radiator fans cycle twice)?

You will always measure more old fluid since the fluid expands when it is hot.

It has a dipstick. You're not using it to gauge the fluid level ?

I just sold our 06 Accord with the 5 speed and 3.0 v6.

Loved that car - - -sold it with 325,000kms on the stock engine and trans. Highway kms.

Maxlife and Lubegard red - - - The accord loved it.
No big repairs other than usual stuff.

I replaced the trans shift solenoids - - not expensive and easy to do - smoothed the shifting out.

Great car and great engine - - - wanted something brand new.

You also check the fluid when the engine is at temp and the engine is OFF..........

usually 3.0 quarts for a drain and fill.

Also the filter was not hard to replace - - - getting things out of the way was a bit of a pain.

Originally Posted by atikovi

You were told numerous times that the Honda fluid was the way to go and you ignored that advice so now this fluid change is going to cost you double.

No one provided any evidence that Max Life wasn't suitable aside from some boogie man BS. Max Life does infact perform/function fine and may be user error. No extra cost though, this trans calls for 4 drain and fills for complete service. I did 2 with Max Life and still need to do 2 more.

Originally Posted by The Critic

That's too much fluid. Did you check the level within 30 sec of engine shut off with the transmission hot (after radiator fans cycle twice)?

You will always measure more old fluid since the fluid expands when it is hot.

I didn't consider the expansion but the fluid was sitting in the drain pan for an hour or so on the cold garage floor before I poured it into an empty oil jug.

I'll do the next drain an fill to exact spec.

There's really no need to be so precise with measuring. Just drain, fill with about 2.5 qts, run the car and shift through the gears, use the dipstick and go from there. I think I am usually at just barely over 3qts on mine when I do it.

Last edited:
If drained while level, exactly 3 quarts will get the fluid level to an acceptable range on these cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back