2005 sts V8 Camshaft Actuators throwing codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Codes its throwing are p0340 p0341 p0345 p0346.

A year or so ago my car started running rough intermittently and I blew the oil out of the Camshaft actuator plugs (2 were full) and that fixed the problem. Fast forward to this week and all the codes are back, and the car will run rough and make a what I would call "valve clattering noises" that will come and go randomly. Blowing out the plugs didn't change anything. Are the acutators the most likely culprit? Replacing them seems pretty straight forward from what I can find (will post procedure below) Am I on the right track or is there something else I should look for first?

http://www.justanswer.com/cadillac/4241z-replace-camshaft-position-actuator-solenoid-cadillac.html?r=aw|85386|0&awc=7742_1491525225_16f15a12a8380ea611658157737b42cf

These are the actuators I'm talking about. There are 4 total 1 per cam.

https://www.repairprocedures.com/images/png/1239397.png

I don't know if this is the same engine but I've see the cam control solenoids fail on gm 3.6 engines. Often they can be removed, cleaned and re installed. These are electric solenoids that control oil flow to the actuators. They have a fine inlet screen that plugs up with debris.

What is the common denominator between all 4? I don't know off the top of my head except for the timing chain and possible electrical connector but a tensioner/chain issue would probably have a P300 code as well. I will look into it tomorrow.

Okay I think there is a discrepancy on the parts we are talking about here. the codes you give are for the cam position sensors. Are you looking at these..

Or these..

I'm talking about the actuators in the second picture. Not the position sensors. I know the codes are position sensor codes, but failing actuators are known to cause issues, and the plugs being full in the past threw position sensor codes not codes for the actuators themselves.

I just wanted to post a follow up. I got the camshaft actuators replaced, which is a fairly straight forward repair btw, but the symptoms remained. I took it to my local mechanic and he said that the oil looked very dirty so he changed it and that fixed the problem... I honestly couldn't believe that, the fill in it was 13 months/5000 miles old. However after a 20 mile drive the CEL hasn't returned and it hasn't made any noises. I think I will do a new post discussing oil and VVT systems because this was very surprising to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back