2005 LT 4x4 suburban towing experience/advice/thoughts?

I’m looking to upgrade from a 3500lb popup to a 25ft travel frailer with the specs below. I drive a stock 05 suburban with the 3.42 rear end, 5.3 vortec. I’ll be running a equalizer & sway bar.

I have a family of 5, 3 kiddos and want to make sure I’m safe in regards to equipment. I believe it’s hitch weight is just slightly over the factory rated number. With my family and camping items, we add another 700 lbs to the truck. I keep getting different towing and payload numbers on different sites!

Thoughts?

Camper specs
Hitch Weight:652 lb.
UVW 5,111 lb.
CCC 1,541 lb.

2005 suburban LT 4x4
MPG
14 city / 18 highway
Horsepower
295 hp @ 5,200 rpm
Engine
5.3 L V8
0-60 mph
8.1 seconds
Towing capacity
7,200 lbs
Dimensions
219″ L x 79-80″ W x 74-77″ H

Last edited:
Do you have an auxiliary transmission cooler? If not, consider having one installed, in line with the factory unit built into the rad. You have a four speed transmission, with the top gear being an overdrive. Tow with it in third year when going up a grade or against the wind. You’ll probably be towing at around 3500 rpm, but the Chev LS engine is a higher reving engine than the old school small block Chevies. You gas mileage will plummet, probably to 10 MPG on the highway. Always, use a lower gear when going down grades. Take it easy, the 5.3 is a bit undersized. I sold my 2005 with a 5.3 and bought a 2008 Suburban with the 6.0 and 6 speed 6L-90, but my trailer weighed 6300 lbs dry. Be very careful if you try overtake another vehicle. Relax, you’re on vacation. Safe travels.

I’m looking to upgrade from a 3500lb popup to a 25ft travel frailer with the specs below. I drive a stock 05 suburban with the 3.42 rear end, 5.3 vortec. I’ll be running a equalizer & sway bar.

I have a family of 5, 3 kiddos and want to make sure I’m safe in regards to equipment. I believe it’s hitch weight is just slightly over the factory rated number. With my family and camping items, we add another 700 lbs to the truck. I keep getting different towing and payload numbers on different sites!

Thoughts?

Camper specs
Hitch Weight:652 lb.
UVW 5,111 lb.
CCC 1,541 lb.

2005 suburban LT 4x4
MPG
14 city / 18 highway
Horsepower
295 hp @ 5,200 rpm
Engine
5.3 L V8
0-60 mph
8.1 seconds
Towing capacity
7,200 lbs
Dimensions
219″ L x 79-80″ W x 74-77″ H
Is your 05 a 4l60?
If so I think you will find that the truck will pull it, but it's going to be a strain over any hill. That trailer will be 6k plus loaded. Plus kids/passengers in the burb.

I went through this with an 03 avalanche( suburban frame) 3.73:1.
Pulling a trailer close to 7k. It was too much and it was "rated" for 8k.

I've towed a 97 gmc sierra 5.7 ext cab on a car trailer from houston to mexico to give to a family member with my 2005 yukon xl denali awd 6.0 v8 forgot my rear diff but it handled it like a champ. Trans didn't get hot either but that was in a colder trip. Mpg sucked but thats expected.

10 years ago we were in a near identical set up. 2001 1500 Burb. 20 ft TT. 4 kids, 2 dogs.

We ran into two issues. #1 was pre-detonation. Premium fuel fixed that. #2 was trans temp got hot. Installing a large auxillary trans cooler in front of the radiator fixed that.

We pulled no grade fast, but we pulled it! Love the memories out camping! Happy wife, kids, and dogs!

Is your 05 a 4l60?
If so I think you will find that the truck will pull it, but it's going to be a strain over any hill. That trailer will be 6k plus loaded. Plus kids/passengers in the burb.

I went through this with an 03 avalanche( suburban frame) 3.73:1.
Pulling a trailer close to 7k. It was too much and it was "rated" for 8k.
Yes the 4l60, I always tow in “tow mode” which I believe keeps it out of 4th?

10 years ago we were in a near identical set up. 2001 1500 Burb. 20 ft TT. 4 kids, 2 dogs.

We ran into two issues. #1 was pre-detonation. Premium fuel fixed that. #2 was trans temp got hot. Installing a large auxillary trans cooler in front of the radiator fixed that.

We pulled no grade fast, but we pulled it! Love the memories out camping! Happy wife, kids, and dogs!
I’ll absolutely add an external trans cooler. I unfortunately don’t have a trans temp gauge however I know I can add one to the factory spot on the dash and it’s prewired.

I had a tru-cool LPD cooler added on my avalanche 40klb rated cooler it's huge.
IMG_20210317_223119362.jpg
IMG_20210317_223041552.jpg

What is the payload of the Suburban? Tongue weight + hitch weight + 700 lbs of family/stuff is getting close probably.

Are you running LT or E tires on the Sub? The published tongue weight is just 10% of GVWR and really doesn't mean much. You have to scale it fully loaded for camping to know.

Everyone's idea of safe is different. Mine is no running near the limits.

Did they put a payload sticker on that generation? My wife’s 2021 Suburban has 1,608 pounds of payload, for reference.

It will tow it but watch the cargo in the tow vehicle. It will not be a pleasant tow experience.

You are going to start towing right at the limit on a 17-year old truck with how many miles of wear and tear on it?
It may do it just fine, but if it breaks don’t be surprised. I’d make sure the brakes are good/new/serviced.

Payload is listed at 1732lbs

Is that on the door jam or online? I saw 1726 and 1893 lbs online but every truck is different depending on options, etc.

It will tow it but watch the cargo in the tow vehicle. It will not be a pleasant tow experience.

Agree, especially in mountains. You may not be over any of the weight specs but you'll be at the upper limits.

Reactions: CKN
in my experience, stability, suspension and brakes means 3x more than engine power. the safety and control comes from there. I’ve towed at the limit with my last truck, and I think it was rated more than it should have been. even a v6 has the power to tow the weight, but controlling it is what hampered my last truck. I think you can manage, with the aforementioned upgrades… trans cooler, avoiding overdrive, WDH, and stiffer shocks and possibly helper springs. Just don’t get in a hurry.

Back