2005 Ford 5.4L 4V GT (SC) Oil Recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! 5W-50 and 9.5 quarts
shocked.gif
! Is that the engine in the new Ford GT? If so, I guess they are assuming it's going to be driven in a more a "spirited manner" than the rest of modular engines are
grin.gif
. And gas mileage be dam*ed. I wonder whether the Motorcraft 5W-50 is really Castrol Syntec 5W-50
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

Reason I got interested in this...if you have a Ford pickup with the 5.4L and are towing heavy or just plain runnin' hard, would 5w-50 be the best bet?

[ October 11, 2004, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

no, it's a modular, and everyone knows modulars like/want/need/demand thin oils!
wink.gif

maybe there's a new good oil, it might not be syntec. i wonder how much it costs. has anyone actually confirmed that ford sells this oil?

-michael

Mobil 1 5W-50 "Rally Formula".

It is already API certified.

I believe this to be current factory fill in the Non-Supercharged 350 bhp 5.4L 32V used in the Ford Falcon GT XR8.

BTW that chart has a error.

It recommends:

Focus Zetec 2.0L Std - FL400-S
SVT Focus Zetec 2.0L HP - FL2005

This is backwards from the Owners Manuals.

Gene

[ October 11, 2004, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

Actually you have the new 5.4L SOHC 24V (3 valves per cylinder) 300 bhp engine.

The Falcon GT XR8 uses a detuned variant of the old 2000 Mustang Cobra R 5.4L DOHC 32V (4 Valves per cylinder) that makes 350 bhp.

The Ford GT uses a variant of the new Truck 5.4L Triton with all new DOHC Heads with Dual Injectors per cylinder, Aluminum Block and a Supercharger. Output 550 bhp.

Gene

Gene K
quote:

Actually you have the new 5.4L SOHC 24V (3 valves per cylinder) 300 bhp engine

OOPPS You are correct kind sir. Well almost the same engine I guess. But 5w-20 in one and 5w-50 in the other. Give me a break
mad.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:
Mobil 1 5W-50 "Rally Formula".

It is already API certified.

What about Castrol Syntec 5w50, it's A3 rated, not sure about the API certification though.

Hello everyone, first post here. Been lurking for a long time. I have a 2001 Superduty with the V-10. Currently running 0w20 M1 but have been wondering if it is really providing the best protection. I've heard/read the modular motors have tight tolerances etc, and that they were designed for light oils.

I'm about 4000 miles into my OCI and was planning on going to 5000 and doing a UOA. I have a UOA from MC 5-20 which was about average for this motor. I'm planning on keeping the truck for a long time.

Here's the question: Can I run 5-50 in a v-10 modular? Is there really any difference from the stand point of engine oil between the v-10 and the 550hp v8?

I've got a lead foot.

Thanks

Eric
La Habra, CA

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:

BTW that chart has a error.

It recommends:

Focus Zetec 2.0L Std - FL400-S
SVT Focus Zetec 2.0L HP - FL2005

This is backwards from the Owners Manuals.

Gene

I have a 1996 Contour with the 2.0 Zetec and my oil filter is the FL200. The FL2005 is used on later Zetec's with the VVT or whatever it's called.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Etcetera:

Here's the question: Can I run 5-50 in a v-10 modular? Is there really any difference from the stand point of engine oil between the v-10 and the 550hp v8?

I've got a lead foot.

Thanks

Eric
La Habra, CA

Since you've gotten good results with the MC 5W-20 and are now using Mobil 1 0W-20 I don't see you benefitting from using such a thick oil. You may even cause more wear. Don't forget the 5W-50 oil is being spec'd for a street race car. Something your truck isn't. You might want to try the German Castrol(GC) 0W-30. It's a thick 30 weight. It will give you more peace of mind than the 20 weight
grin.gif
and maybe only cost you some loss of gas mileage and power. I think your V-10 will be happier with this oil vs a 5W-50. Where you will mostly certainly experience loss of gas mileage and power.

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Etcetera:
....Here's the question: Can I run 5-50 in a v-10 modular? Is there really any difference from the stand point of engine oil between the v-10 and the 550hp v8?

I've got a lead foot.

Thanks

Eric
La Habra, CA

Yes, about 200-300HP!!

quote:

Originally posted by High Plains Drifter:
This really irks me to no end. I have the same? motor in my 2004 F150 4wd(5.4L 4vhead etc.) and they want me to run 5w-20.
mad.gif
WHAT IS UP FORD?

You don't have forced induction though and the inherent problems that fact alone brings along with it .

Hmmmm...maybe the chart's wrong on the oil recommnedation as well as the filters. Everyone knows x-20's provide the best protection....the UOA's show it
rolleyes.gif

Yes, the Syntec is API certified. It's Castrol, not Amsoil. And the engine clearances have nothing to do with it...you can use 5-50 or any other grade in your V-10 if you so desire. I would look up the Ford chart for a non-CAFE country eg. Europe/Australia for the recommended grade to use in your engine.

V-10 Superduty...and you're worried...ditch the x-20 and I would recommend starting with Delvac 1.

here's a (hopefully) practical take on oil viscosity:

take the manufacturer's recommendation and assume it best relates to optimal conditions. example, normal mixed usage where oil temps might be 200-210° F, just to pull numbers out of thin air.

then take your typical usage, and also keep in mind what extremes your particular engine sees, and extrapolate.

for instance, ford recommends 5w20, and if you assume 100°C oil temps for that recommendation, you have a viscosity in the 8-9 range. now let's say in your usage you see as much as 120°C oil temps. using the VI of the oil, figure out what oils are 8-9 at 120°C, and you can feel pretty safe that this oil will do a good job of protecting the engine.

following this idea shows why 40 or 50 weights are specified by manufacturers for cars that are likely to see track use, or extended high rpm, high speed use (like autobahn). we've seen plenty of reports that track use shows oil temps as high as 300°F in some cars.

-michael

Good Recommendation.

I will be using that 5w50 in my 4.6 supercharged motor this spring.

I have been mixing 10w30 with 15w50 in the past, but the 5w50 suits my needs.

JH

I agree with Michael SR's assessment of the recommendations. A car at a constant 70 or 80 mph is only using maybe a 1/3 of its engine output (hence the variable displacement stuff from Chrysler and GM). On the autobahn or track, with your foot to the floor, things are order(s) of magnitude higher as the engine is putting out most of its capacity. It follows that heat loading would increase at some linear relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back