2005 F150 5.4L Triton 8.6k OCI Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5w30

7 quart sump, 3.5 quarts came out 🙄

this is a friends truck, and the first time we ran our own oil for a whole oci. Dipstick tube is really rusted and he’s afraid to check the oil for fear of breaking it off. Probably just going to stick to shorter OCI. He only drives 8k ish per year
A054091D-B5EC-40BB-BDB5-0015D23E42E7.jpeg

I had a 2004 5.4. Bottom end of the 5.4 was bulletproof. I was always cautious of the VCT and chain wear issues so my OCI was normally 5k with a MC filter and MC blend oil. I pre-emptively changed the VCT solenoids (Ford updated them around 2007 IIRC) and never had any issues. Mine is still running; sold it to a friend at work in 2015. Last I knew it was over 200k. From my reading, and none of it substantiated, longer OCI potentially exacerbated VCT issues.

I don't see the mileage. How many miles do you have on it? I bet you've had to do at least 1 IWE job in Buffalo!

I had a 2004 5.4. Bottom end of the 5.4 was bulletproof. I was always cautious of the VCT and chain wear issues so my OCI was normally 5k with a MC filter and MC blend oil. I pre-emptively changed the VCT solenoids (Ford updated them around 2007 IIRC) and never had any issues. Mine is still running; sold it to a friend at work in 2015. Last I knew it was over 200k. From my reading, and none of it substantiated, longer OCI potentially exacerbated VCT issues.

I don't see the mileage. How many miles do you have on it? I bet you've had to do at least 1 IWE job in Buffalo!

this has 113,783 miles on it. I recorded the mileage yesterday because the vehicles owner and I changed the spark plugs (what a nightmare, 3 snapped off in the engine) he has only had this vehicle about 18 months and drives it infrequently. It’s rusty and that’s probably what will end up taking it out, and I don’t know much about it’s history

Triton engines are not known for fuel dilution or much shearing so what is happening with the viscosity? Also, the sodium rising is not a good sign since RGT does not have it in its additive pack.

Where does sodium come from other than coolant ?
There are some oils that have sodium as part of the additive pack, like Mobil Super and Valvoline. However, RGT does not and since the sodium went up (meaning not residual from a prior oil change), then it could be a coolant leak developing.

Back