2004 Corolla intake manifold torque?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replacing the intake manifold gasket on the 04 Corolla. The Haynes manual says torque to 22 ft lbs. Online I find 14 ft lbs. The block is aluminum so 22 seems high for a bolt, seeing as the spark plugs are 14 ft lbs. Any one know for sure.
I compromised and tightened them to 17 ft lbs.
No more PO171 code anyway.

Thanks Bud. Yes I got the updated orange one from the dealer.
I will loosen all fittings and retorque to 14 ft lbs.
Hope I didn't cause any thread damage, it's got a days driving on the slight overtorque.

Last edited:
lol I have never torqued those down to spec, just tight enough with a long ratchet, I have never had any issues with them.

You can never go wrong torque to spec as long as your torque wrench is accurate.

I guess I never did torque the intake manifold to spec because when I was using the OEM Toyota service manual it wasn't listed in the Cylinder Head Reassembly section

Last edited:
30Nm -22 ft lbs Per Alldata

Those are nuts that go on the studs right? You are not putting much strain on the threads in the head.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
30Nm -22 ft lbs Per Alldata

Those are nuts that go on the studs right? You are not putting much strain on the threads in the head.
2 are nuts on studs yet 4 are steel bolts that anchor into the aluminum block.
Thanks Trav

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cjcride
I will loosen all fittings and retorque to 14 ft lbs.

Too late for that!! The gasket is already compressed to 17 ft lbs. If you loosen it up and re-torque it too 14 ft lbs, you run the risk of getting a vacuum leak.

Probably to late now, but I'd just leave it as you did the first time. It'll be fine.

OK, I slightly backed off the fasteners and retorqued to 15.5 ft lbs that's where I'll leave it. The updated gasket is silicone so it will seal better than the original rubber gasket.
Thanks guys, if there is a Heaven there is probably an express line at the gates for BITOG'ers

Last edited:
Are you able to check the freeze frame data of the code P0171 ? If the code generated while at operating temp and above 1500 rpm - I'd suspect the mass air flow sensor is your issue... I did the intake gasket upgrade and the oxygen sensor on my vibe same issue - P0171 came back - I ordered a new mass air flow sensor and all is good. Found that at one time I had r&r'd the sensor to clean it, I messed up the oring that seals it to the mount. Running good for the past two weeks and will rev up to red line now - where before would hesitate to reach 5k rpms.
I purchased the Denso unit from Amazon - Around $80

Last edited:
I erased the code over a month ago. My Inova 3130 has freeze frame. I think I got lucky on the O2 sensor.
Kept the old one it's evenly coated in black dry soot.
I may test resistance to confirm it's toast. Just need parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back