2004.5 Dodge 5.9 - Schaeffer Supreme 9000 5w40 UOA's

Post this mainly for data's sake. All UOA in this report are schaeffer 5w40. Engine was rebuilt at 456k km
DODGE RAM 2500_ENGINE-1.jpg

Last edited:
I just threw some numbers together. BEFORE REBUILT was 11560km avg & Fe 28.7142857143ppm avg
That reading isn't bad at all & after rebuilding appears to be even better wear rate at 10000km & 22 Fe (Iron) albeit just one sample so far after rebuild.
But as you're seeing some viscosity increase I'm not sure on how all that works. Shaeffer's is darn good oil & 5w40 FS would get my vote over 15w-40 Semi-Synthetic based on your prior notes. Either way still not bad. Thanks for the post!

I just threw some numbers together. BEFORE REBUILT was 11560km avg & Fe 28.7142857143ppm avg
That reading isn't bad at all & after rebuilding appears to be even better wear rate at 10000km & 22 Fe (Iron) albeit just one sample so far after rebuild.
But as you're seeing some viscosity increase I'm not sure on how all that works. Shaeffer's is darn good oil & 5w40 FS would get my vote over 15w-40 Semi-Synthetic based on your prior notes. Either way still not bad. Thanks for the post!
Thanks! That is interesting. I hadn't looked at that much.

I posted this mostly to just get some data decent data with more then one uoa in a row out there on the 5w40. The history on the agat report is rolling and old reports fall off the botttom.

If you look at my last oua post you will see even less wear. 28ppm Fe on 31km! Believe a lot has to do with the bypass. I also have a magnetic drain plug. That thing comes out pretty **** near clean even after a long interval like this. After rebuild, running shell t4(as per rebuilder) it came out with a decent amount of filings for several OC.

I'm pretty sure the oxidation is coming from it not being a full syn oil. In the data, the oxidation rate for the 5w40 is for the most part better. There are uoa's where it is on par, but I was running a tuner for a bit, and those fall into that category.

I went with the 15w40 for this summer since at the time it seemed like the stoutest oil to prevent wear in the hot summer. I've put a temp gun to the back of the oil pan directly after towing on a hot day and read 106 Celsuis. It did its job, but a little sacrificially.

actually I had my math correct the first time... after rebuild using the pre rebuild wear rate it's actually 24ppm @10km I think those bypass systems are interesting... 28ppm @31 is pretty radical.
IMO 5w-40 is an ALL YEAR OIL. Especially up north. Also, Don't think that the 5w-40 can't or won't protect just as well or better than a 15w-40 semi or conventional.
On a side note: the wife & I have been fortunate to be wintering down in TX for the last 2 years & there's one fella that drives a big top of the line 03' Newmar Motorhome that has the 5.9L in it. That RV weights over 30,000lbs everyday! keep trucking that cummins!

Back