2003 S10 4.3 Reccomendations

A friend recently picked up a nice 2003 Chevy S10 4wd V6 automatic with approx 86K on it a couple months ago. To their dismay it seems to be using a little bit of oil, especially on longer drives (4 hours to New Jersey through the mountainous I-80). She believes there is something wrong with it, but it runs very well. Her previous 99 Sonoma with the same engine never used much in comparison. The original owner was an older gentleman that likely never seen interstate or heavy use which is what I'm attributing it to. Question being it's due for an oil change and am looking for suggestions to hopefully slow down some consumption. Was thinking a High Mileage 5w30 or possibly something like T5 10w30 or Delo 10w30. Doesn't appear to be leaking, even in infamous remote oil lines are dry. Weather in our part of PA is typically 20's to 30's in the morning with the occasional 5° to 10° mornings in the winter.

The valve stem seals tend to leak on a 4.3. I had one that would leak and foul the plug. Ended up changing valve stem seals. HM 5w30 in winter, 10w 30 summer.

The valve stem seals tend to leak on a 4.3. I had one that would leak and foul the plug. Ended up changing valve stem seals. HM 5w30 in winter, 10w 30 summer.
I had one, and I agree. It's a likely culprit.

Does it smoke occasionally on start up?

My Uncle had one with 400,000 mi. It had the typical leaky seals. They used a 15W-40 HDEO most of it's life in the South. I think their Mechanic bought when they sold it and is still running it with close to 500,000 mi. In PA I would agree with the T5 10W-30 inclination.

I had a 1993 Chevy S-10 4x4 4.3 that did that. Replaced it with a 2003 Chevy Blazer and never had that problem. The Blazer never took oil till the infamous oil lines started leaking. I got rid of the Blazer before the oil lines got any worse. I did notice that Valvoline Maxlife helped slow that leak.

both of mine never really used any oil. the 01 was run w/ACD for most its time w/me and was never a problem.
it might just need some time to "clean up" as it looks like it had a lot of sit time at just over 5K a yr

It's a simple, long lived engine. Unless the oil usage/loss was much worse than a quart per thousand miles, no way would I be opening it up for repairs. Then again, I check oil level each fuel fill in mine. I'm using the $2.20 a quart Costco Kirkland right now.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks! Maxlife 5w30 Syn Blend won this round. Also still had a FPS3387A left over from my S10, while shorter it'll do just fine.

Had a 1993 AWD Olds Bravada with the "W" code high-output 4.3L. Ran it reliably for 275,000 miles, in cold Alaska mind you, over 20 years. That included several trips up and down the Al-Can Hwy. Only typical maintenance issues with that engine. Fantastic engine and vehicle. The drivetrain was fine when I sold it; everything else was falling apart around it.

During Alaska's cool summers, I ran 10W-30 during its last years; ran 5W-30 Chevron Supreme or Valvoline Durablend in winters.

The Bravada's seating was lovely. It never failed to start and run. It was a snow-go. Miss it.

Last edited:
Any 5w30 or 10w30 on sale will be fine. You can get d1g2 on sale, but it's not necessary for your 4.3 V6.

Agreed. If consumption is a big concern, I’d try 15w-40 for an interval or two, “just because”, to see what will happen. It may slow somewhat. Or not.

Back