2003 Mercedes E320 with MB's "Lifetime" ATF Fill at 51674 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the W211 (E500/320) models have experienced problems with faulty radiators causing coolant to get into the ATF lines and ruining the transmissions. When I first read about this problem on the MB forums, it naturally scared the #&*@ out of me, so I wanted to know if my ATF was contaminated.

Analysis performed by Blackstone Labs 1/13/06

EQUIPMENT MAKE: 2003 Mercedes Benz E320
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 722.6 Auto Trans
Miles on Engine: 51,674
OIL USE INTERVAL: 51,674 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: MB Lifetime ATF
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0 qts

PAUL: We did not find any significant antifreeze in this sample. Antifreeze shows up as potassium and sodium, and we didn't find either reading at a noticeable level in this sample. If you're losing coolant, it's not getting into your transmission fluid. However, it is time to change this oil and the filter.
Insolubles (solids in the oil) read at limits and there was a trace of moisture present. The moisture
alone renders the oil unserviceable. Aluminum is left over from wear-in and lead is a marking
compound from the factory. Check back to monitor.

Numbers on right are universal averages:
ALUMINUM 22 11
CHROMIUM 0 0
IRON 59 68
COPPER 94 90
LEAD 35 16
TIN 4 3
MOLYBDENUM 0 0
NICKEL 0 0
MANGANESE 4 2
SILVER 0 0
TITANIUM 0 0
POTASSIUM 5 1
BORON 67 81
SILICON 6 10
SODIUM 9 8
CALCIUM 24 242
MAGNESIUM 1 17
PHOSPHORUS 210 284
ZINC 6 69
BARIUM 0 32

Numbers on the right are “should be values”
INSOLUBLES% = 0.1 WATER% = Trace ANTIFREEZE% = 0.0 0.0
FUEL% = not applicable
FLASHPOINT IN ºF = didn't do, sample too small >335
SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 ºF = 45.5 42-51

I now have 55K miles at the time of this post and will obtain another UOA for this ATF at 60K miles. If the insoluables goes beyond the limit (or noticeable element increases), I'm having the ATF changed -- I don't care that MB calls this stuff "Lifetime" ATF!

Hope this analysis data is helpful to others.

Regards,
Paul....

Amsoil recommends their Universal ATF for your transmission. It is less expensive than the lifetime ATF you may purchase from your dealer...I'd change the fluid and filter now, and drain the torque converter as well, given the presence of the moisture.

However, wear from this sample is quite good for the original fill...

Way back in the Stone Age when I had a Benz their auto transmissions used Dexron fluid. Is this Dexron fluid in yours or is Benz now using a proprietary fluid?

MB is now using their own fluid, and from what I hear, it's quite expensive. While looking over the procedure for changing the ATF, 14 liters are required to do the complete job even though the tranny doesn't hold that much. I better start saving for that service now!!

Regards,
Paul....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back