2003 Honda Element

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am a proud owner of a 2003 Honda Element SUV. Its very spacious and meets my requirements for everyday commute. I just have 1 problem with it. I notice that my car's engine oil level goes down before every oil change. I suppose it must be burning it since their is no oil stain or puddle when ever my car is sitting in my driveway or in any other parking lot (I put a sheet of paper-towel under it every time I park it. Just for indication). Another indication might be that my check engine light and maintenance light are on. I used a scanner to see what it may be and it comes up as the catalyst converters bad.

Any advice would be helpful and greatly appreciated. I am planning to get my catalyst converter changed soon, but would like to know what else i can do because I know that wont solve my problem with Oil Burning.

Kilmer Car fixer guy

I noticed this video on YouTube. That is exactly my car. 2003 Honda element, same engine and same car color. He said the PVC valve might be bad. Could that be the same problem for me?

Do you have the specific code that was read? How many miles on your Element? I've got an '07, love the car to death
smile.gif
If you haven't already, check out http://www.elementownersclub.com/

I have around 144,000 miles, let me double check it.

I know how you feel to, just can't believe they discontinued the model at 2011.......
smile.gif

Thanks for that site
smile.gif
, will register and post problem there too.

Last edited:
Yeah I have 144,000 miles. And I first used to have 1-P code, now checking again, I have 2-P codes.

The first one is P0420. This is for Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold.

The second one is P0325. This is for Knock Sensor Circuit Malfunction.
JIUsOxo.jpg

P0420 means the pre and post cat O2 sensors are not seeing the burn efficiency they expect to see. This can be a myriad of issues, from needing new spark plugs to a bad fuel injector to clogged EGR to much more expensive things like needing a new Cat.

If the knock sensor really is bad, that can drive a bunch of other issues, including P0420.

Check the PCV valve and see if it's clogged or fouled. While Honda doesn't have a service interval on these, every 100K miles seems to be reasonable...

PCV location:
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1038465&postcount=28

Thank you for the information and help HangFire. I will order that PCV valve and see what the outcome is and will post back.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
P0420 ... This can be a myriad of issues

Yes, I fixed this code by replacing my downstream O2 sensor.

I determined my cat was still good after a bit of research.

Do you have an estimate for how much oil it is losing per 1000mi or 5000mi, etc?

Also, any chance the catalytic converter was recently stolen and replaced with an aftermarket? Mine was stolen and replaced with an aftermarket, which was ok, except that the sensor they put in was an aftermarket sensor, not an OEM. That triggered a CEL for me, although I can't remember what the code was.

I actually don't have an exact number, but I did an oil change at 140,000-142,000 miles and my mom was driving it and she called me and told me that the car completely stopped moving one day. She checked the oil level and their was probably 1 cm of oil on the dipstick. So it's like drinking it like water probably I think. I will check it today.

I don't think the converter was stolen lol. I bought the car at an auction at 136,000 miles. Sold by carmax.

Last edited:
If it's burning enough, it's possible the cat is dead, but I definitely fix the oil burning issue first. Let us know how the PCV valve replacement goes!

I would put in a good fuel injector system cleaner with a full tank of premium octane gas first, then replace pcv, knock sensor, clear code and see if it comes back right away. Last resort is to change cat, you can go aftermarket cat or the junkyard for cheap.

Originally Posted By: si_jeff
I would put in a good fuel injector system cleaner with a full tank of premium octane gas first, then replace pcv, knock sensor, clear code and see if it comes back right away. Last resort is to change cat, you can go aftermarket cat or the junkyard for cheap.

I put some Lucas fuel injector cleaner in.
Lucas Fuel cleaner

Not sure I felt any difference for the loss of powerish (what I mean by that is, I have to hold the gas pedal more deeper to get the same amount of power as I would have when i push it little bit).

But I do notice a difference when I stop going to a certain Hess Gas Station. Starting to go to BP Gas Station, and their gas makes s difference.

I am going to go change that PCV or PVC valve (however its spelled
laugh.gif
). Also I will be changing the rear differential fluid because I her a grinding roaring noise from the rear when I make a sharp turn or U-turn.

For my catalyst I'll buy an aftermarket. For some reason I don't like going to junkyards (loss of proud owner security feeling (if that makes any sense)).

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
If it's burning enough, it's possible the cat is dead, but I definitely fix the oil burning issue first. Let us know how the PCV valve replacement goes!
Also for this, after I change the valve how long till I notice a change? Is it immediate?

Originally Posted By: wmj259
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Also for this, after I change the valve how long till I notice a change? Is it immediate?

Depends. If it's locked open or shut you may see an immediate improvement. You will also be checking upstream and downstream to make sure the entire passage is clear.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

Anyway of checking the oxygen sensor?
I've had trouble with these before (in a different car).

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

Yes, you can check for voltage supplied, and sensor resistance and/or continuity. This video makes it look easy because the car has a connector on the top end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uqmYkl7t0c

Originally Posted By: SR5

Yes, you can check for voltage supplied, and sensor resistance and/or continuity. This video makes it look easy because the car has a connector on the top end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uqmYkl7t0c

That's a good video...

I used other methods to verify that my O2 sensor was bad, and then confirmed it after removing it from the vehicle.

Since the O2 sensor replacement, I have no more codes and the car is running perfect.

Originally Posted By: wmj259

I am going to go change that PCV or PVC valve (however its spelled
laugh.gif
). Also I will be changing the rear differential fluid because I her a grinding roaring noise from the rear when I make a sharp turn or U-turn.

Check your manual before changing the rear differential oil. Some require Honda Dual Pump fluid which is completely different from other oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back