2003 Civic pros/cons (2001-2005 generation)

Here is a moment when necro thread bumps are a plus. :).

I loved this generation Civic and test drove a couple '01 EX coupes with manual trans. At the time I was 18 with pretty much no credit and Honda had zero interest in getting me into a Honda so I ended up in a Volkswagen.

I still am enamored about the odd displacement 1.7. Honda was like yeah 1.6, 1.8.......lets do a 1.7. I think the D17 introduced a bunch of new technology for the Honda line as well.

I had two 2001 Honda Civic LX coupes. Both blew automatic transmissions shortly after 120k miles. Also, as mentioned already, D17 likes to blow headgaskets every 150k-200k miles, or if even slightly overheated. Also very very slow... I would look into previous or later generations. I have seen many 2006+ Honda Civics in sub-$3k range under 200k miles. We had a 2010 Civic sedan, 37mpg was quite nice, and very reliable in our ownership. That R18 engine ran best on 0W20 oils. Only thing outside of regular maintenance that had to be done was CV axles. But it's a Honda, and on Hondas CV axles are considered a "regular maintenance item".

My '05 has been a great second car. I purchased it in 2010 with only 25000 km on it. I change the only once a year as it only gets about 8000 km a year. I do a transmission d & f every other year. One set of new tires besides the snows along with filter changes. It has been a great car that I hope to have for another ten years. No rust on it to date as I use Krown every other year. My honda dealer mechanic says the transmission issue was resolved with the '04 model year but that there are many 2001 models that are still fine. I would heed the warning on the timing belt. I had mine changed at 100000 km along with the antifreeze and tensioner. Good luck with it.

We have an 04 in our family. It had 200,000 easy miles with my mom and then 50,000+ hard miles with my brother. The HG started leaking at 250,000. He replaced it and it’s soldiering on. I think i put amsoil in the transmission at 100,000 and then 200k miles, just 3 quarts sucked out and 3 refilled. Besides that it needed an alternator around 200k and had a wiring harness glitch with the reverse lights which the dealer solved. By no means has it been a weak or problematic vehicle for us.

Back