2003 accord rear disc caliper replace and bleed??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to fix a friends car before I even work on my own 94 accord. Because I will be borrowing that car while my accord is down for a few days. :p

I have to replace both rear discs and pads which is easy, but also the rear left caliper which is blown out. (the pads were used to the point of self destruction, ejected entirely from the caliper, so then the piston depressed too far, leaked brake fluid through the caliper, and was limped home two blocks and parked)

I dont think the caliper should be too hard (but if youve done one/if there are any unique hangups or problems to warn of please tell me) as I watched a video, my main concern is about how to bleed the system, because this is an ABS system and i've only ever messed about with non-ABS systems so far when I replaced a caliper myself before. So I dont know if anything is different.

Thankfully I have someone to help so it's not a one man bleed. But i'm worried about air in the system ever since the caliper blowout. (I corked it off to stop it leaking further but i've no clue if air bubbles would travel up thru separate hydraulic and ABS stuff - it's sat in the garage since then for several months as I had no way to get to or help him and he had a 2nd car) Could someone walk me through how to get the air out of the system I fear is there including on what I think is a separate ABS piping?

Agree with camrydriver.....put it all back together and get your friend to start pumping and you bleed it out. Once that pedal gets tight, should be good to go.

Well i'm worried air got in the system - last time I had a leak at the caliper it sucked air into the non-ABS system on my saturn and I had to totally bleed out the system after which it was fine.

I just have no idea how ABS works or if it has separate chambers, systems, or what - other than remembering vaguely reading that sometimes special procedures were needed to bleed out an ABS car, and you couldn't even use a one man bleeder at all.

Anyone with Honda Accord 2003-era specific knowledge that can verify from having bled one? :p

I have a 2007 accord and just changed my rear left caliper a week ago.
As everyone has already said, bleed the system as normal and make sure you keep the system topped up with fluid for the whole process. Honda bleeding procedure is FL-FR-RL-RR. Can't go wrong if you take your time.
I had a family member sit in the car and pump the pedal.

Good luck!!

Thanks Roob for the clarification, I thought it was the furthest brake first! I guess thats part of why I keep asking, it seems like i'm still missing something...

Did you have any instructional videos or/and online instructions to go by? (I had one bookmarked before my computer crash i'll try to find again) There was some kind of wonky extra linkage or something in the rear brake to keep track of some special orientation I thought..

I think i'll try and finally do the caliper tomorrow or this weekend FWIW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
If the car never run out of fluid in the reservoir you shouldn't have any ABS issues, and bleed as normal.

Sorry to bug all I guess I had one last question. :p I don't remember if it ran out or not, I remembered adding quite alot of fluid just because I knew what had occurred, after it had leaked out bad. So it's more like "if after I bleed it, and test the ABS a few times, it SEEMS to work okay, should I assume that it IS safe and okay?" AKA do I need any special test procedure to try and find hidden air in the ABS system or should it be pretty obvious? (ie nonfunctional ABS)

Buy a MityVac or the generic knockoff for about $35. Makes one man bleeding a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back