2002 VW TDI What brand diesel oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daugter/son in-law have a 2002 VW TDI diesel, runs great, great milage. I know VW calls for a 5w40 oil, just wondering, is this a synthetic diesel oil. Can the oil be obtained anywhere other than the dealer?
Thanks

most people on the TDI forum www tdi club .com prefer Mobile Delvac 1 or Amsoil HHD those are the most redily availible ... you must make sure that the oil you use is CH rated ..in other words a gas oil like Mobile 1 is not good enough.

Actually, the mobil1 0w40 european car blend is rated to meet the 505.0 standard that that 02 should need. There is another thread in this forum about that. You may want to take a look through this forum, as there is a lot of recent information on this subject.

--Matt

Just spoke with VW service. He said his dealer ship uses Castrol 5w40 Synthetic. I guess there are other 5w40 synthetic diesel oils as well.

I've logged 120,000 miles on my TDI with Delvac-1. I have used a few other oils off and on but the Delvac-1 has been the main lube in my engine. I'm very pleased with the way that it has performed.

With my father's purchase of a 2004 Mazda Tribute, he was giving up his old workhorse, a 1998 Jetta TDI. I (gleefully) took it off his hands. Currently has almost 196,000 miles and still going strong (still the original clutch too, which sometimes scares me... but I am assured the car had more freeway driving than anything else. It does operate ok).

At first he would take it to quick lube places and get god-knows-what in it. Until once they failed to properly fasten the plastic underbody shield and it began to drag underneath the car and get chewed up. After that he did the oil changes himself (and when I started working at a tire shop doing oil changes and tires, I began doing his oil changes... and of course now that it's mine, I still do them
wink.gif
). He was recommended to use Delvac 1300 by someone who owned a diesel truck. He has been using it since, as have I.

Never had an oil analysis or anything. I am fairly new to this, but I have taken a great interest in oils lately. I want to find out what is the best for each vehicle in my family, as I seem to be the one taking care of all the vehicles these days.

I have not seen Delvac 1 in local stores, unfortunately. Delvac 1300 is readily available, however. I have been researching into products like Amsoil's Series 3000 5w30. Although stumbling across this messageboard appears to be a blessing. Some very knowledgeable people around here who have been there and tried that. So I'm not getting biased information from the one of a bazillion Amsoil dealers on the internet... heh.

In short, I would love to hear what comes most-recommended for TDIs and the reasons behind it. One of these days I'll send in an oil sample for analysis just out of curiosity.

I am also considering by-pass filters as well. There's so many things to do!

If you're having problems finding D1 like I was look for Mobil1 Truck&SUV. This stuff(with a yellow cap) is D1 in quart form. Several users have discovered that they are the same stuff. But if the car lived on a diet of dino oil most of it's life you may wanna run a couple/few treatments of auto-rx through it before switching it over to synthetic.

--Matt

Matt,

The Amsoil 10w-40 synthetic "AMO" works extremely well in this application for 10,000-15,000 drain intervals. It's less expensive than the Series 3000 and the borderline pumping temp is approx -40F, so it's fine for year round use. Most of what I sell locally for the TDI is their 10w-40 and not the Series 3000. I believe this new Amsoil 5w-40 will be ideal for the TDI as well, but I haven't had the chance to test it yet. I do have 3-4 long time customers testing it for me, but we haven't gotten to the oil analysis testing yet....

The other oils I like for the TDI include Delvac 1 and the Group III based, Petro Canada, Duron 5w-40, which you can find in Michigan if you look around some....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

quote:

Originally posted by Big Red:
My daugter/son in-law have a 2002 VW TDI diesel, runs great, great milage. I know VW calls for a 5w40 oil, just wondering, is this a synthetic diesel oil. Can the oil be obtained anywhere other than the dealer?
Thanks

Yes, VW does recommend a synthetic oil, but in my experience/research, this is akin to Ford's recommendation of 5w-20. Just a suggestion...not a requirement for optimal lubrication (unless running in cold temps).

Last year, I had a guy with a older VW Passat TDI ask me about oil. Based upon what I knew (and I still stand by this recommendation), I suggested a 7,500 OCI on a mineral HDEO 15w-40. Hasn't had a problem.

If you do decided to go with a dino oil make sure it is a diesel specific oil (Delvac 1300, Rotella, etc.). The TDI is picky about the oil it uses.

Another very good option for synthetic is Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 which is available at Sprawl-Mart for $12.84/gal.

Hi Big Red

Just to throw a wrench in this synthetic oil love fest. The TDI engine does not require synthetic. However, you must choose a non-synthetic or syn blend with care and prove its ability with analysis.

I run an 03 TDI using Schaeffer's Syn blend 15w-40 with excellent results.

Search the oil analysis diesel section using the search words Schaeffers & VW.

I'm fairly sure that later TDI's (mine included) do require synthetic oil. The PD's are even more specific in requiring the 505.1

--Matt

Personally, I use Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30 and change it and the filter every 10,000 miles like the owners manual suggests.

Only thing I would add is that the owners manual DOES suggest synthetic vs. dyno oil and I would use an API CI-4 oil.

I have a 2002 Jetta TDI automatic.

quote:

Originally posted by Big Red:
Thanks

Well right now I'm running Amsoil's Series 2000 0w30 though it's not a diesel rated oil it's holding up fine.

I am probably going to change it out to Amsoil's 10w40 here soon as I have 20,000 on the oil.
Other options would the new European 5w40 and the 5w30 hdd as well as the 10w40 AMO. I've even seen folks in warmer climates run the 15w40 with no problems.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Group III based, Petro Canada, Duron 5w-40,

Hey TS, are you sure about this? The spec sheet says "full synthetic" but the follows with "Petro Canada's patented 99.9% pure HT processed synthetic base fluids".. So does that mean hydrocracked then?
confused.gif

it means refined dino.

My vote goes for mobil1 truck and SUV. It is Delvac1 in quart bottles. Get it at walmart for 4.77 a quart. Not bad at all.

I just bought (using this weekend) Petro Can Duron syn. 5W40 for my Sienna, as it is used like a taxi/ delivery vehicle now by my uncle.

Cost $25 CDN (about 17USD) a gallon.

Will follow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back