2002 vw 1.8 turbo just died at 85 k

Status
Not open for further replies.
my sis and bil own it and it wouldve died sooner if i hadnt nagged them about changing oil....they grudgingly would change it every 10k or so with synthetic so they will get it fixed or replaced for free which is better than 50% replacement cost if they had done their usual 25k oci routine..they bought it 6 yrs ago w/ 30k on it...my bil had to rent a brand new impala and he said it was a great car...he also has a 2004 subie outback w/ 105k that he bought last year at 92 k and of course has yet to change oil on that and being stranded (again , last time was neglected timing belt) 200 miles from home due to almost zero maint will not faze him

i wonder if vw would replace this engine w/ non turbo? a vw turbo and my bil are a match made in engine [censored]

LOL, the 2.slow would be a good match for them.

Your BIL sounds like a chump. He'd rather spend lots of time/money all at once rather than spend a little on required maintenance over time. That little bit every couple of months is far cheaper in the long run than neglecting it until failure. Like changing the oil every 5k miles on a VW engine known to destroy oils quickly.

With that era of VW, likely better off they're getting a new engine. Then it can fail for them in another 80k miles, by which time the rest of the car will be ready for the junkyard, if my mental picture of your relations is accurate.

I helped a friend maintain a 1.8, we put it on M1 0w-40 and purolator filters... At 180k when he sold it it was still running well and sludge free.

1.8 engines don't have to be sludge engines. User fail.

I'm going to go wayyy out on a limb and guess your bil is not a member on BITOG.
lol.gif

Any idea exactly what killed the engine? I take it he had some kind of warranty on the engine? Guess that was smart, at least.

Bil sounds like an interesting fella. Different strokes for different folks.

It sounds like your relative needs a Honda. 10k oci's with any gasoline/turbocharged engine is asking for trouble.

On the subject of the Outback-105k is exactly where Subaru recommends that the belt be changed. Being an interference design, it's a really good idea to have it changed. Mind you, the timing belt on them is built a lot better on the average inline-4, but still, change it.

vw was forced by a class action suit to cover this engine, so it was no foresight on his part...it is pretty funny his indifference to maint which to him begins and ends w/ putting gas in car, same with my sis...i have tried to make sure he has enough oil or else he would be at least be a qt low quite a bit...i will tell him about the outback timing belt but he wont do nothing i imagine...he had another subie he beat on for 300k until engine died and then you can always get another one right? why mess w/ success, 25k oci is more than reasonable

Originally Posted By: chet2
vw was forced by a class action suit to cover this engine...

I have a hard time believing that VW would cover a claim like this if the owner could not produce receipts showing the engine had been maintained with proper synthetic oil at 5,000 mile oil change intervals.

well we will find out...my bil said they were going to and he only changed oil every 10k...you can read settlement at vw engine sludge settlement on net...the original owners manual only said to use regular oil which probably saved them

...the original owners manual only said to use regular oil which probably saved them

VW has in the past sent out revised information regarding oil change intervals and advised the owner to only use synthetic oil that meets their 502 00 specifications. This information doesn't always get passed onto the next owner however. Even those who followed the revised guidelines might have experienced problems with sludge. Not every 1.8T get's sludge but every owner should be aware there is the potential for it, especially in the Passat.

Originally Posted By: Xstang
It sounds like your relative needs a Honda. 10k oci's with any gasoline/turbocharged engine is asking for trouble.

On the subject of the Outback-105k is exactly where Subaru recommends that the belt be changed. Being an interference design, it's a really good idea to have it changed. Mind you, the timing belt on them is built a lot better on the average inline-4, but still, change it.

How about a Chevy? The OLM on them goes 8-10,000miles and they dont sludge... (non DI of course.) Timing chain... And they're cheaper and have a 5 yr 100,000 mile powertrain warranty... try to buy a us model and make a job for an American.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Originally Posted By: Xstang

How about a Chevy? The OLM on them goes 8-10,000miles and they dont sludge... (non DI of course.) Timing chain... And they're cheaper and have a 5 yr 100,000 mile powertrain warranty... try to buy a us model and make a job for an American.

What would you say to Americans who build Hondas here in the US?

Originally Posted By: johnachak
try to buy a us model and make a job for an American.

You mean like the Ford Fusion that's built in Mexico? Well, technically a Mexican is an American, so your statement is still valid.
smile.gif

it was sludge that killed engine

Back in 2002, if this car was serviced at the dealer, VW dealers did not use synthetic oil in these cars. So that is probably when majority of this sludge started to form.

On top of that, your BIL does not sound like a person that would take it easy on a cold turbo and let it idle a little before shutting down after a spirited ride. All that did not help the issue either.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I'm going to go wayyy out on a limb and guess your bil is not a member on BITOG.
lol.gif

Sounds like we need to sign him up!
11.gif

This hurts to read (original post). No question about what happened. I suppose the oil wasn't checked either? At a 10K OCI, i'd wager that there was probably 3 qts max of nasty oil in the sump lol.

To end this on a happy note, my 1.8T Has 200K after 10 years of ownership and still going strong
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back