2002 Trans-Am

Originally Posted by blackbirdws611
I was debating on changing to WIX / Napa Gold and likely will.

Last question,

I change the oil in sept/oct before I Park her in my garage for the winter so it's fresh to sit then good for the next year. Maybe gets 5-6000 KM of driving in the season and techancially a year of being in the motor (only half being driven)

Any suggestions here?

That oil can stay for 2 seasons and absolutely should. There is No Cheap Insurance here; that is a Myth, as there is more of a change of DAMAGE to bearings and hydraulics with the extra oil changing and concomitant dry starts.

The Acid neutralizers in the oil are plentiful and active. There will be no "acid" in there.

Just get her hot and on a good strong drive before she gets put to bed.

- Ken

I also have a black 2002 Trans Am. They are without a doubt an amazing car. I have been running mobil 1 5 W 30, with A Mobil 1 filter. But I wouldn't hesitate to use the service plan you are using. Or any other name brand full synthetic for that matter. I was an AC Delco filter guy until three seasons ago, I switch to Mobil 1 filters, and noticed significantly less engine noise on Startup. Could all be in my head, but it helps me sleep at night. Enjoy that beautiful F body!

Thanks guys. I've owned 7 Fbodys but this is a keeper. Last year, black on black and a 6 speed car.

Spent 17 hours on paint correction and ceramic coating

Car is 10/10 and runs like new.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow. Like you hear often on car forums, nothing matches a black car when it comes to a knockout shine....for 5 minutes. Nicely done.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Beautiful car! It's a shame they stopped making them.

It really is. IMO the second half of the fourth-gen Firebirds/Trans Ams are one of the best looking cars ever made. Especially in black, it kind of makes me think of this:

[Linked Image from hips.hearstapps.com]

Awesome thanks guys!

Is the AC Delco factory filter that bad?

The Delco filter is adequate, a decent choice. But "better" filters are available for the same money. I quote "better" because people will always chime in saying "better how?" and I don't want to get into that conversation. I see you got the M1 oil filter recently, that is another good choice but IMO it's overpriced for what you get... might as well pay another $1-2 and get the Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted by DGXR
Awesome thanks guys!

Is the AC Delco factory filter that bad?

The Delco filter is adequate, a decent choice. But "better" filters are available for the same money. I quote "better" because people will always chime in saying "better how?" and I don't want to get into that conversation. I see you got the M1 oil filter recently, that is another good choice but IMO it's overpriced for what you get... might as well pay another $1-2 and get the Fram Ultra.

I completely agree that ACDelco filters are a decent choice. In fact I prefer them in most cases, given that I do 5k OCI and therefore don't need extended mileage filters. it's also hard to beat the price on Amazon; just wait for them to go on sale and buy a few extras (under $4 for the PF46E right now). I don't think you can find a better filter for the price. But as @DGXR said, it depends how you define "better."

Well, having put some KM on her, I can say the engine noise at cold start (usually LS piston slap) is at least 80% quieter and when hot motor sounds much tighter and less noisy overall. Oil psi is slightly higher, and she seems happy
smile.gif

Changed things up after some reading. Motor seems quieter (piston slap is less when cold) and oil psi little higher.
[Linked Image]

Well, having put some KM on her, I can say the engine noise at cold start (usually LS piston slap) is at least 80% quieter and when hot motor sounds much tighter and less noisy overall. Oil psi is slightly higher, and she seems happy
smile.gif

Those Euro rated, 40 grade oils are great. M1 0W40, Edge 0W40, Shell Helix Ultra / PP Euro 5W40 are designed to deliver at the highest level.

I recall Doug Hillary (oil developer) coming back from one of those famous European endurance races (Nürburgring ?) a few years ago and stating that most teams were running off the shelf M1 0W40 in their cars. Given he was part of the team that developed the original Castrol R (later Edge) oils for the early race teams, had the right access to the right people to know what they were really putting in the engines.

Back