2002 Kia Sportage

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Kia Sportage. I live in East Tenn. Drive short stop and go trips everyday 3-7 miles daily. Motor has no known issues. The Sportage has 83k on it. Would it be ok to switch over to synthetic? I was looking at Supertech 5w30 Synthetic and Supertech oil filter?

Last edited:
I bought a 2002 sportage new and ran 5w30 oil all kinds syn ,high mile ,regular oil sold it with 165,000 miles still running very well change oil at 5,000 mile oci and sleep well.

Wont hurt anything to switch to synthetic, can only do good. Switched my F150 over to syn. at 85K, no problems over 10K later.

Originally Posted By: cjohns79ut
Would it hurt the engine to switch to synthetic? I was told it will make the suv start using oil?

Why do a lot of people say it will make the suv use oil? Do you consider a vehicle with 83k high mileage?

You can switch to synthetic if you want. My wife had a 2001 model of this and the factory service manual gave a range of oils from 5W-30 to even 20W-50. Those engines are based on a old Mazda design and are very forgiving in oil.

BTW, how is yours holding up? I maintained my wifes 2001 religiously and it still was a falling apart piece of [censored]. By 100K all the tie rod and suspension joints were shot. The steering box was way out of adjustment and anything plastic just seem to break if you even started at it funny. God did us a favor with a flash flood and totaled it for us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back