2002 dodge neon

Status
Not open for further replies.
my neighbor got a neon with 120,000 miles, usually brings it to the pennzoil express, he said hes never bring in it there again because the service was bad. long story short, he doesnt know anything about cars, he said from now on [censored] give me the money to buy the oil and filter and asked me to do all the maintenance on the car. he puts about 3,000 miles every 3 months. he doesnt really care what oil i put, like i said he doesnt know a thing about vehicles. so, whats a good oil and filter for this car, im sure he doesnt want to go expensive, and like i mentioend above, he doesnt drive much.i was thinking cheap super tech 10W30 and a Mopar filter.

You realize that any problems with this car will now be attributed to you? I might show him how to change the oil and educate him about oil but if he has any problems , this could get ugly since you are neighbors.

Isn't that engine spec'd for 5w-30? Supertech would be fine but I'd change it every 4-5k. Can usually pick up some good oils on sale with a filter and that would work perfectly fine, most of us here are just picky about filters
wink.gif
Mopar or purolator would both be great filter choices.

Supertech for oil & filter. Its a Neon not a Porsche.

But I agree, you will be blamed for anything that goes wrong. Tell him you will "assist" him, but its his car. Where does it stop? All fluids, brakes, struts, front end work? Now if he offers to buy you a lift thats another story.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
You realize that any problems with this car will now be attributed to you? I might show him how to change the oil and educate him about oil but if he has any problems , this could get ugly since you are neighbors.

This. The car probably needs stuff and the PZ guys are getting insistent.

While you're at it, ask him what his yearly budget is for maintenance and repair. Watch for a deer-in-headlights look on his face.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
i didnt plan on putting anything but the recommended oil. no he justasked me to do basic maintenance like oil changes, air filter, etc.

Help him with it once, tell him to keep track of mileage and to give you a call if he needs help when he goes to do it the next time. Don't let him suck you into fixes that will be far more effort than an oil change, especially if hes that clueless. "Oh yeah you can replace my alternator, starter, water pump and timing belt as well right?"

The little 2.0 Liter Neon engines are perfectly happy with any decent 5w30 or 10w30 oil you care to use. You can also use any filter you like, though I don't care for Frams, and using a standard-size Pure One on my 97 DOHC caused a little startup noise in the valve train.

BUT: Someone posted above that if you begin doing this, he'll blame you for anything & everything that goes wrong with his car from now on. I say +1 to that. Hand him the Yellow Pages & let him find another quicky lube.

How often will your friend check the dipstick? Super Tech is good enough but Mobil Super 5000 didn't burn off at all in either of my cars. I like STP filters, which are similar to Super Tech.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: spasm3

This. The car probably needs stuff and the PZ guys are getting insistent.

While you're at it, ask him what his yearly budget is for maintenance and repair. Watch for a deer-in-headlights look on his face.

Agree. Be VERY careful.

Go buy the oil, explain the choice, move away from anything else but advisement.

ST and Fram is fine, but if the engine is solid, you might consider PYB or similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back