2002 camry 307000 miles no transmission fluid changed

the transmission fluid has never been changed. Recently i feel the transmission slipping . Should i changed the fluid completely or just a partial change of fluid. The fluid looks more dark than red. any other ideas

1. Go to a proper mechanic if you can't handle it.
2. Drop the pan, clean it out, re-fill with proper fluid for the 2002 era.
3. Drive another 1K and do it again.
4. See #3 above.

It's not crazy you've achieved that mileage on it, the 1997-2001 Camry's are pretty bulletproof and I see them all day every day. I don't know if it's the same trans, but go ahead and get new fluid in there and see what happens at this point.

Yes do a drain and fill. As already mentioned do several of them but well spaced out with correct fluid.
Yeah, do more than one but spread 'em out. I have no idea if it should be 500 miles apart, 5000 miles, etc though (no one does!).

the transmission fluid has never been changed. Recently i feel the transmission slipping . Should i changed the fluid completely or just a partial change of fluid. The fluid looks more dark than red. any other ideas
Use the Toyota oem fluid from your dealership. Ask the dealership whether to change 1/2 or all.

Do a drain and fill. It is very easy since you have a drain plug. There is no need to drop the pan :)

A single drain should be sufficient, but if you want a more thorough exchange, just do the same drain and fill 3-4x, with some driving in between. The amount of driving can be anywhere from around the block to thousands of miles. If I ever felt the need to do multiple drains, I would do one a week for a month.

It is easiest to do the job when cold. Measure the amount that comes out when you drain, then refill with the same amount you drained.

I would guess the trans is worn out but bring it to a trans shop and have it diagnosed before throwing internet cures in it.

what wpod typed^^ there's a filter in there too. they get blocked by trans bits & powder even at 150k. At 307k the fluid & filter both gotta go........
for better or worse.

I wasn’t sure about dropping the pan. Should be a strainer. Inspecting the magnets would give good indication about trans health though. I’m just miffed as my pan is leaking now after doing a pan drop, and it wasn’t worth dropping as i did not change the strainer.

Changing the fluid at this point likely will cause more slippage. Your tranny had a good life but it's on borrowed time.

Do a spill and fill. I would use MaxLife on an '02 Camry. If it is a 4 banger, service the differential too.
If it feels better, do it again, or pull a coolant hose and do an exchange. Service the filter if you are feeling up to it; can't hurt.

As others have said, if it is worn out it is worn out.
Good luck.

It a misconception about only doing a FILTER service on a automatic transmission. Dilution of fluid does not work because you are still contaminating the remaining larger amount of fluid that is still in the transmission . If it is starting to slips with that many miles dropping the pan will not really tell you to much because what you WILL FIND in the pan and filter there is not really a way to indicate how long its been there?

The only real way is to have a specialized Transmission shop do a complete evaluation which would and should include a basic filter, electrical component test and pressure testing . They may if they determine that the material in your pan is more then say 50% of the clutch friction material and not large chunks of something like metal of friction disc materiel (lol) do a complete replacement of fluid. The procedure is about 300 at our shop. In your case if you were my customer I would first recommend to shop for a rebuilt or guaranteed low mileage transmission replacement. This way you can think about what is going to be the best option for you.

I dont even recommend an oil analysis because of the history of none maintenance and that it is starting to fail signs.

It a misconception about only doing a FILTER service on a automatic transmission. Dilution of fluid does not work because you are still contaminating the remaining larger amount of fluid that is still in the transmission . If it is starting to slips with that many miles dropping the pan will not really tell you to much because what you WILL FIND in the pan and filter there is not really a way to indicate how long its been there?

The only real way is to have a specialized Transmission shop do a complete evaluation which would and should include a basic filter, electrical component test and pressure testing . They may if they determine that the material in your pan is more then say 50% of the clutch friction material and not large chunks of something like metal of friction disc materiel (lol) do a complete replacement of fluid. The procedure is about 300 at our shop. In your case if you were my customer I would first recommend to shop for a rebuilt or guaranteed low mileage transmission replacement. This way you can think about what is going to be the best option for you.

I dont even recommend an oil analysis because of the history of none maintenance and that it is starting to fail signs.
This is an 03 Camry with 300k miles. Sure, to the $300 flush, but the cars not worth throwing a new tranny in imo, at least in my area a rebuilt tranny and labor is worth more than the car.

ok

Back