2002 Cadillac DeVille hits huge pothole, broken spring, and tire, P0300 code

Facepalm...

Relatives car. 2002 DeVille DHS. 193k, lots of rust.

Driving approx 45mph and hit a huge pothole on interstate exit ramp. Tire was flat in a minute.

He continued driving for another 5 mins to destination.

he brings rim to shop and put on a new tire.

puts on new tire and tries to drive around the block made it mb 100ft, car is sputtering horribly, no power, CEL on. Cats glowing red hot.

Rents a U-Haul and tows it back home.

Effected tire is now flat on trailer... I Air it up to hear a big hissing. Spring is broken missing and poking into side of tire.

So at the very least needs a quick strut. And another new tire...

I don't see any other obvious damage underneath from spring falling under car.

Now on to the P0300 showing on my basic scanner. I took off the front large coil pack.
Some oil in plug holes. Maybe a couple TSP.

Next steps before we potentially dump money into this low value car?

Is there a cheapish scanner that can show me specific misfire data or P0301 to p0308 codes?

Or just scrap it? 🤣🤞🙏

Attachments

• PXL_20210830_040318987.jpg
    PXL_20210830_040318987.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 124
Exhaust is smashed flat after the cats, restricting exhaust. If you have to pay a mechanic to fix, it probably isn't worth it.

193k on a northstar, they got their money's worth, the scrap heap awaits.
RIP. I got rid of my 2000 Deville with almost the same mileage. A shame because we kept the interior and exterior so nice. Ours wouldn’t pass smog and torque converter failure code began to pop up sometimes. Too bad the are so worthless. I liked it.

So the tire shop put a new tire on with the broken spring sticking out?

The car owner brought the bad tire to the shop separate from the car then reinstalled it himself not noticing the broken spring.

In some areas the city or state will pay for car damage caused by potholes in a travel lane, but most of the damage here is consequential to continuing to drive after hitting the pothole and not fully repairing the problems with the car before driving again.

So the tire shop put a new tire on with the broken spring sticking out?
No he brought the wheel in without the car.
I wonder if it was difficult to get the wheel to seat to hub while fully inflated. It looks like it would have been pushed away in the pic.

I don't know the exact time line of the CEL loss of power. How it wasn't noticed right after impact or driving 5 mins longer and then sitting overnight

The car owner brought the bad tire to the shop separate from the car then reinstalled it himself not noticing the broken spring.

In some areas the city or state will pay for car damage caused by potholes in a travel lane, but most of the damage here is consequential to continuing to drive after hitting the pothole and not fully repairing the problems with the car before driving again.
I agree, you may get them to pay for the first tire.
But not after that.

I would have to say junk it. If he likes it a lot, he can buy another one for $1000 with half the miles.
I bought a 2000 Deville from my parents. I could not believe how low the value was on these cars. Until I found out the maintenance requirements, that is. Ended up giving it to my daughter. Bad idea as I still have to repair it.

It’s lived a full life of 19 years.. let it go to the scrapper. If it were a pristine southern car without the red hot cats, then save it. The Titanic-grade rust, dying cats, busted up suspension, and the need for new tires again means its next home should be the wrecking yard.😐

Given that prognosis, it allows the owner the opportunity to find something newer and nicer for sure. 👍

That car is not inspect-able. From what I have read - the whole thing is toast. I would try to collect some $$ from the State - get out there and get a photo of the hole pronto. Don't get run over. Use a couple rulers, one in and one along the hole. Problem is there were no injuries and no significant value in the vehicle.
I destroyed a fairly new 1995 Suzuki Aerio wagon in a OPEN drain on the highway. State said "no injuries no compensation". I didn't have the time to pursue, but you CAN sue them. Never say never. Good luck to your relatives.

Back