2000 Toyota celica burning oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got a 2000 toyota celica with about 280k on the odometer. OEM oil is 5w-30 but I've noticed some oil burn/blowby over the last few months, maybe 1qt per 3000miles. Any suggestions on an oil type/grade to slow oil consumption?

You could always step up to a 10w-30. A qt every 3K isnt bad. I would just add a qt every 3k. Find yourself some supertech 10w-30 synthetic and call it a day.

Ive always run dino oil at 5k intervals. Is there a benefit to changing to syn now?

Stick to 5w-30. You should be using any of the High Mileage oils: Quaker State Defy, Valvoline Maxlife, Pennzoil High Mileage, Mobil Super High Mileage, etc., in no particular order.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Have you checked or replaced the PCV valve lately? Worth checking out if not, can cause consumption.

This ... +1

Unfortunately, the Toyotas around that 98-02 have a rep of oil consumption, but 1at whey 3k Miles on a motor that has 280k miles is really good. I would try rotella 10w30 semi syn, or any brand 10w30. Make sure u replace the pcv valve. Good luck

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Have you checked or replaced the PCV valve lately? Worth checking out if not, can cause consumption.

This.

Switch to Maxlife 5w-30. Move on to Maxlife 10w-40 if you want further improvement.

PCV -change it even if the old one looks okay and rattles.
valve seals -get a quote
oil control rings -test it, not that you'll do anything but it's good to know.

Go slow. You really don't have much of a problem so there's no rush.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
1 quart in 3,000 miles isn't bad.

+1

My 97 Camry (4 cyl 5SFE engine) has 276K miles and uses oil at about the same rate. I add about 1/2 qt every 1500 miles or so and feel good about the consumption.

No, but supertech synthetic is something like $3.50 a bottle so it isn't going to break the bank. Plus it will refresh your oil better than just a bottle of dino. But with the amount of miles that celica has, it wont make a difference.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy

+1

My 97 Camry (4 cyl 5SFE engine) has 276K miles and uses oil at about the same rate. I add about 1/2 qt every 1500 miles or so and feel good about the consumption.

Yes...1qt/3k miles does not qualify as "burning oil"....especially @ 280k+ miles

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Originally Posted By: teddyboy

+1

Yes...1qt/3k miles does not qualify as "burning oil"....especially @ 280k+ miles

Yous last sentence is good and summarizes well the solution and situation in hand.

Too many jump in and diagnose a problem when there is no problem of course although this is usually done with the best of intentions which is commended.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back