2000 Taurus transmission issue

Our 2004 Taurus has occasionally thrown a transmission over temp warning since new. It usually occurs in the heat of summer with the AC on. Killing the AC for a few miles has always solved it. It has around 370k miles on the original transmission now with regular service. It has been out once to replace the flex plate from a failed starter but never apart. Still making 100 mile trips everyday.

They are NOT known for good transmissions, in fact most FORD automatics are junk, that is why i converted the 69 Mustang to a stick
Yes, I was aware that these seem to be ticking time bombs. We have been using it almost daily for over three months now. Many trips are nearly 100 mile round trips and a mix of city / highway. So far so good! It throws a code sometimes if you accelerate on the highway too quickly and won't engage the torque converter. A simple shut off / restart always resolves this. 210K miles and counting.

Look at the lock up solenoid, the actual PRNDL switch, a fluid exchange, VIOC used to charge about $80 for this. Some Fords can be reprogrammed at the dealership to increase pump pressure, what is the code ?? Could also be the Transmission Speed Detector, depending on gear selection vehicle speed/transmission speed should fall within a given set of values. I had a Eagle Vision some years back that did something similar, would not shift, took it to dealer under warranty, sold the car, bought a stick shift BMW 530

Our 2004 Taurus has occasionally thrown a transmission over temp warning since new. It usually occurs in the heat of summer with the AC on. Killing the AC for a few miles has always solved it. It has around 370k miles on the original transmission now with regular service. It has been out once to replace the flex plate from a failed starter but never apart. Still making 100 mile trips everyday.
Good point, i burned up a Taurus tranny towing my fish and ski boat, i believe some sort o dowel came loose and cut into the case causing major failure. Note that Fusion trannies circa 2014 are really bad

I had a 2002 Ford Taurus that I took up to 293k. Biggest issue was a rack and pinion replacement. It was the Vulcan 3.0l, and it had the better of the two transmissions for that year..

I did have the transmission light come on once, it was a loose connection on the MAF socket. Weirdest thing I've seen, but that was the cause.

Changed trans oil and filter every 50k, oil every 5k (Motorcraft oil and filter) and power steering fluid IDK, maybe three times? The power steering pump was on its way out, it was growling.

Other notable repair was the subframe bushings. They were actually quite easy with a couple sets of jack stands.

Changed trans oil and filter every 50k, oil every 5k (Motorcraft oil and filter) and power steering fluid IDK, maybe three times? The power steering pump was on its way out, it was growling.
I think it called for a transmission fluid change at 30k.

I think it called for a transmission fluid change at 30k.
Indeed it does. I have no idea what the service history on ours was. Purchased from sister at 207,000 miles and she only had it a year or so. I did a pan drop and filter change when we got it. Drives ok so far!

Indeed it does. I have no idea what the service history on ours was. Purchased from sister at 207,000 miles and she only had it a year or so. I did a pan drop and filter change when we got it. Drives ok so far!
That's a good thing to do.. How did the magnet look? Fuzzy as hell?

Not horrible actually. I'd venture to say the fluid was changed at least once in it's life time, but I have no way to verify that.
First time I did mine, the magnet was as fuzzy as hell, but each subsequent time it was less so yeah, yours was probably changed earlier at some point.

Back