2000 Nissan Altima: Blown Head Gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Phishin
I'm starting to think that a freeze plug blew a hole in it and was the cause of the coolant leak....causing my coolant reservoir to be low, and the white smoke I saw behind the engine.

Does anyone have any idea what the leaking coolant could have destroyed causing the car to stumble/miss and finally, not start?

Thanks.

If it had blown a freeze plug then it wouldn't be able to suck the coolant out of the reservoir and you would have had a major coolant leak. What did the white smoke from the back of the engine smell like?

Here is a head I repaired recently. This burn through happens often.

100_1683.jpg

Just pulled the Nissan to my mechanic with my truck. I should have an update by Monday, I hope.

I hope it's not time for the graveyard. Since I've owned the car in 3 years, I've put a ton of money in it on maintenance.

Purchased the 2000 Nissan Altima in 2009 for $3200 with 99k miles. So far, I've replaced:

1.) intake manifold gasket and ONE freeze plug
2.) Distributor, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and rebuilt wire harness for ignition
3.) All new brakes (rotors, calipers, and pads)
4.) two new front CV axles
5.) New radiator and water pump
6.) It's got a new set of General Tire Altimax's on it
7.) Just had the tranny flushed/serviced for the third time since I've owned it.

So, I haven't been neglecting the car. So, I'd hate to get rid of it. I'm anxious to hear what the problem is....probably the IM gasket.

So, the real question is.......since I had the IM gasket replaced 50k miles ago and if it is in need of another IM gasket, isn't this telling me that there is a problem causing this? What could it be? Could the intake be warped? Maybe the mating surface that the intake bolts to (the other side of the gasket)?

Originally Posted By: Phishin
supton said:
New water pump was also installed, so higher pressure on the coolant system as well.

But if this theory is correct, the leaking coolant must have fried something in the ignition to cause it to stumbe/miss and finally, not start.

Water pump doesn't create pressure, just circulates fluid.

Is there any chance the steam/leak got on a sensitive components and fried it thus causing your no crank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back