2000 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe 4 Speed Automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stower17
I think you should post about the automatic transmission since you stated it's never been rebuilt and is original.

I think a lot of us would love to hear about that since those are rather problematic trannys.

The car was purchased used in 2003-4 and driven by the father of the family as his DD until around 2010. He was very good about changing the fluids on time. Next, the car was handed down to the daughter who used the car to run a paper route for about a year.
frown.gif
LOTS of shifting involved in that paper route. She neglected the car maintenance wise and appearance wise. Next the car was handed down to the son. He doesn't know much of anything about cars, and neither did the daughter. Since about a year ago, I've been working on the car and taking care of neglected maintenance and repairing issues as I go. The trans shifted horribly when I first met the son and drove it for the first time. The 1-2 shift had an awful hang to it, more of a slide bump where you could feel first gear disengage and then half heartadly engage 2nd for a second until it finally grabbed and fell into gear. That made me very uncomfortable. All the other shifts were hard as well, and there was a very noticeable delay and clunk if you were slowing to an almost stop and then had to accelerate again. That 2-1 downshift wasn't good.

The fluid looked like a faded, maroon red color and I could tell it was old and slightly over heated. I don't know when the last trans service was. It was over filled by about a 1/4" on the stick (probably due to someone checking the fluid level with the engine running. You need to check these transmissions with the engine OFF like if you were checking engine oil).

I chose Valvoline Maxlife to replace what was in the trans. I first did a drain and fill of only 1 quart to see how the trans would respond. I didn't want to ruin the trans and cause slippage because it would be hard to find another car for transportation to and from work. The trans reacted favorably to the single quart, so I did a complete drain and fill of 3 quarts. There was a lot of swarf on the magnetic drain plug. I did 2 more drain and fills over the next 2 weeks. The fluid is now a nice red color, and smells like Maxlife but isn't burnt.

I chose Maxlife for 3 reasons.

1. This trans was designed for Z1 and it's NLA. I don't like using new fluids in old transmissions due to the trans possibly not agreeing with the friction modification of the new fluid.

2. Honda ATF obviously didn't do a good job of protecting these transmissions. They failed left and right even with 30k Z1 changes. Considering this, I wanted something different that had a great reputation in all other applications. Maxlife was the obvious choice.

3. It's full synthetic, unlike Z1 or DW1. These transmissions produce a lot of heat and the Honda ATF doesn't deal with it as well as a full synthetic would. I wanted the extra layer of durability in the fluid since the car is operated in Tucson.

So far, the trans is MUCH better. The 1-2 issue is still there. It doesn't do the slide bump as much anymore, but it is pretty much gone if you force the trans to shift at 3000 rpm. The increased shift pressure engages 2nd very positively with no slippage. The other issue is that the trans will shift very hard into reverse when it is first started in the very cold morning. If you start the engine and allow it to run and come down off its initial cold high idle, the hard shift is reduced.

The trans is totally original with 202k miles currently. I suppose this was a "good one" that was made with all the right parts on the right day in the right factory.
laugh.gif

I'm probably going to try Lubeguard Red or Black to see if I can eliminate the remaining 1-2 issue and reduce the morning reverse shift slam. I'm leaning toward Red since everyone with Honda transmissions either had good luck or no result. What say you?

This thread was created by the request of Stower17. Feel free to ask questions or make suggestions.

that's awesome, thanks for the post. I use MaxLife exclusively as well and it cured the slip bump 1-2 shift in my GM 4T45e. Good stuff right there. That and seafoam trans tune worked out my issues!

Last edited:
You're welcome!

I do really enjoy Maxlife. I used it in the 722.4 automatic transmission in my 85 190D 2.2 (recently sold) and it worked fantastic. That was another ~200k miles auto trans with no issues and no slipping.

The Honda only slips during that shift. It's hard to explain. You can feel 1st gear disengage, and then the shift feel almost seems to obey a parabola graph.

09.04.07.04.jpg

As if time moves right to left, and after .5 second of hesitation the transmission gradually begins to apply 2nd gear and then it grabs firmly and locks into 2nd. 2-3 and 3-4 are fine, as is the torque converter lock up engagement. Nice and smooth. 1st and 2nd both do not slip at ALL once they are engaged. The engine will pull up to VTEC crossover, all the way to redline, and then shift just fine. It seems to only do the slide bump hesitation when shifting at low lazy rpm and speeds. 2k to 2500 do it, but 3000 builds enough working pressure to engage 2nd nice, smooth, and positively.

Some GM transmissions did the "slip bump" from 1-2 gear. In GM's case, it is usually linked to a gummed up shift solenoid. IIRC many Trailblazers had this problem. Interesting.....

The shift solenoids are the next thing on my list. They can have their filter screens plugged up by worn clutch material. Some people have actually eliminated gear slip while underway by simply cleaning or replacing their solenoids.

Maxlife is good for that Honda ATF. I had a 94 4spd accord and used maxlife and sold it with 415,xxx KM (257,xxx MI) and the transmission had zero issues at the time.

Maxlife is good stuff. With those transmissions, you want to change it frequently, perhaps every OCI. And that still might not be enough.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
You could try adjusting the clutch pressure control solenoids, but my guess is the second gear clutches are getting thin and only a rebuild will fix it long term.

Sonnax CPC tool

This is very interesting. I'll need to research this more, but I might give that a try.

1-2 is the only shift with the issue. The others are perfect.

Want my opinion? The trans is almost dead.
Should read this for what to me is a decent writeup of mainly the 5 speed auto but mentions the 4AT too: http://www.brisdance.com/Honda/AutoTrans1.html

I have a 2003 TL-S. Had 75k miles on it late 2014, I did a drain and fill with Maxlife and replaced the filter and the two shift sensors, and 5k later it went out. I don't blame the fluid; I wouldn't have used it though if I hadn't read about it on this site.

This is the shop my mechanic sourced the rebuilt trans from: http://www.hnatrans.com/

He claimed none he's installed has come back. Part of the replacement is fitting an external trans cooler. Only drawback is the 1-2 shift is now quick, fast enough that I usually hear belt squeal when it's warm, never when cold.

I guess OP can replace the solenoid and see if it helps. If it doesnt, i wouldnt be too upset because 201k miles on that trans is very good. Its one of the highest mileage honda 3.0 V6'ers ive heard of. Ive ridden in 1999 Accord v6 and the girl that owned it had to let off gas everytime it was about to shift so it could complete the shift. Only had like 99kmiles on it when i rode in it, who knows how long it was like that.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Want my opinion? The trans is almost dead.
Should read this for what to me is a decent writeup of mainly the 5 speed auto but mentions the 4AT too: http://www.brisdance.com/Honda/AutoTrans1.html

I have a 2003 TL-S. Had 75k miles on it late 2014, I did a drain and fill with Maxlife and replaced the filter and the two shift sensors, and 5k later it went out. I don't blame the fluid; I wouldn't have used it though if I hadn't read about it on this site.

This is the shop my mechanic sourced the rebuilt trans from: http://www.hnatrans.com/

He claimed none he's installed has come back. Part of the replacement is fitting an external trans cooler. Only drawback is the 1-2 shift is now quick, fast enough that I usually hear belt squeal when it's warm, never when cold.

Oh, this trans is far from dead. Trust me.
smile.gif

Your experience is aligned with most other Honda owners' experience, but there are a few strange cases where the trans lasts for a long time with no issues. Of course, no auto trans is indestructible, but I don't feel like this one will have any issues for quite a bit. Like I said, at 3000 rpm the slide bump is not there, only when driven lazily. The good thing is, the J30 likes to rev.

I am debating about installing a cooler. I think it would prolong trans life even at this point in time.

If you ever have some time on your hands, a pressure test would always be of some benefit. Other than that, I'd just keep an eye on the fluid condition and call it a day.

#1 cause of transmission failure in my parts comes from neglect of fluid, heat coming a close second.

Maxlife has served this BAXA transmission well. I have been running it for about 10K miles -- and wished I had of switched it over much sooner. Much like yours, lazy shifts are inconsistent, but the 3000 rpm shifts are perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back